Birmingham Alabama Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Come and enjoy access to many wonderful resources for your research.
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- 2789 Altadena Road, Birmingham, Alabama, 35243
- Corner of Altadena Road and Cahaba River Road in the Church.
- Our door is nearest the Altadena Road entrance to parking.
Phone: (205) 967-7279
Current Planned Hours of Operation:
Wednesday: 9am-4pm; by appointment between 4pm and 8pm
Some Saturdays: 9am-2pm
Special Summer Hours:
Tuesday 25 June..........9-1pm
Tuesday 2 July.............9-1pm
Tuesday 9 July.............9-4pm
Wednesday 10 July......9-4pm
Saturday 13 July...........9-4pm
Tuesday 16 July............9-3:30
Wednesday 17 July.......9-1pm
Saturday 20 July...........9-4pm
Tuesday 23 July...........9-4pm
Wednesday 24 July......9-4pm
Saturday 27 July..........9-4pm
Tuesday 30 July...........9-1pm
Wednesday 31 July......9-12noon
Tuedsday 6 August......9-1pm
Saturday 10 August......9-4pm
Tuesday 13 August.......9-3:30pm
Saturday 17 August........9-4pm
Tuesday 20 August.........9-4pm
Wednesday 21 August.....9-12noon
Tuesday 27 August.........9-4pm
Wednesday 28 August.....9-4pm
Saturday 31 August.........9-4pm
Until 31 August 2013...we will have unusual hours. Please feel free to call ahead.
Staff Training Meetings:
Fourth Sunday 4:15pm-5:15pm
No meeting in June, November, December
- July 10 "RootsMagic Essentials" Class by Bell Woods. 1-2pm and 7-8pm Introduction to the free version of RootsMagic.
- July 24 "Family Tree" Workshop with Anne Norris. Practice using this amazing new feature of familysearch.org. 6-8pm Class limit of 4. Call or email to reserve a seat.
- August 28 "RootsMagic Essentials" Workshop by Bell Woods. 6-8pm. Class limit of 4. Call or email to reserve a seat. Practice using the free version of RootsMagic for organizing your research.
- September 11 "Heritage Quest" by Pat Coleman 1-2pm and 7-8pm
- September 25 "RootsMagic Essentials" Workshop with Bell Woods 6-8pm Hands-on with limited seating
- Family History Library Catalog: This center can receive your on-line film or fiche order from the Family History Library Catalog.
- We have more than 8800 microfilm and microfiche records on site.
- Alabama Death Records for years 1908 to 1963, complete. 1964-1974, various.
- Many microfilm for England, Ireland, Germany, Scotland, South Africa
- Books: More than 600 volumes including "American State Papers", complete set.
- Surnames: Bass, Beasley, Bird, Beddingfield, Brocks Gap families, Crocker, Cain, Couplands, Dollins, Drowne, Dickerson, Eillis, Elder, Good, Hassinger, Corbitt, Children of Winged Spur, Killough, Lane, Lawrence, Lasher, McCullough, martin, Murdock, Moser, Pendergrass, Pullen, Rasco, Rhoad, Richardson, Randolph, Snow, Southerland, Strange, Skinner, Sparks, Stump, Thomas,Veithch, Weaver, Wester, Wooten
- Databases and Software
- FHC Portal Free access in the center to premium family history websites
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Access Newspaper Archive
- Alexander Street Press-The American Civil War
- Find My Past
- Heritage Quest
- Historic Map Works
- Paper Trail
- World Vital Records.
Hardware and Equipment
- Computers, microfilm readers, microfilm/fiche printer for paper or digital, fiche readers
Staff Research Specialties
Irish Research: Patricia Coleman
Resources in the Local Area
- Alabama Genealogical Society
- BAAGSG , Birmingham African American Genealogy Study Group, (Meets on 2nd Sunday, 3rd Floor of Linn-Henley Building at Birmingham Central Library)
- Birmingham Genealogical Group (Meets 4th Saturday at Birmingham Central Library, 2-4pm)
- Birmingham Central Library: features extensive collection for Southern research
- Samford University: Outstanding seminars for genealogists, Is Reposistory Alabama Baptist Church Records, large Ireland collection, many other records
- Birmingham Southern University: Has Archives for Methodist Church
Volunteer at the Center
We need volunteers to work at the Center during regular hours. Contact Director for more information.