Birmingham Alabama Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Come and enjoy access to many wonderful resources for your research.
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- 2789 Altadena Road, Birmingham, Alabama, 35243
- Corner of Altadena Road and Cahaba River Road in the Church.
- Our door is nearest the Altadena Road entrance to parking.
Phone: (205) 967-7279
Current Planned Hours of Operation:
Wednesday: 9am-4pm; by appointment between 4pm and 8pm
Some Saturdays: 9am-2pm
Staff Training Meetings:
Fourth Sundays 4:15pm-5:15pm
Moved to Third Sunday for Febuary and March 2013
- Wednesday February 27, 2013: "Rootsmagic Essentials Workshop" Choose 1-3pm or 6-8pm. Free WIFI. No charge for workshop. Limited to 4 participants. Your laptop or our computers.
- Call to reserve your spot.
- This will be a monthly workshop.
- Fourth Wednesday. February to October 2013
- Wednesday March 13, 2013: "Family Tree" Workshop for the family tree feature coming to familysearch.org in 2013. Choose 1-3pm or 6-8pm. Feel free to bring your handheld or laptop. Free WIFI. No charge for class
- Family History Library Catalog: This center can receive your on-line film or fiche order from the Family History Library Catalog.
- Alabama Death Records for years 1908 to 1963, complete. 1964-1974, various.
- Many microfilm for England, Ireland, Germany, Scotland, South Africa
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal Free access in the center to premium family history websites
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Access Newspaper Archive
- Alexander Street Press-The American Civil War
- Find My Past
- The Genealogist
- Heritage Quest
- Historic Map Works
- Paper Trail
- World Vital Records.
Hardware and Equipment
- Computers, microfilm readers, microfilm/fiche printer for paper or digital, fiche readers
Staff Research Specialties
Irish Research: Patricia Coleman
Resources in the Local Area
- Alabama Genealogical Society
- BAAGSG , Birmingham African American Genealogy Study Group, (Meets on 2nd Sunday, 3rd Floor of Linn-Henley Building at Birmingham Central Library)
- Birmingham Genealogical Group (Meets 4th Saturday at Birmingham Central Library, 2-4pm)
- Birmingham Central Library: features extensive collection for Southern research
- Samford University: Outstanding seminars for genealogists, Is Reposistory Alabama Baptist Church Records, large Ireland collection, many other records
- Birmingham Southern University: Has Archives for Methodist Church
Volunteer at the Center
We need volunteers to work at the Center during regular hours. Contact Director for more information.