Birkenhead St Anne, Cheshire Genealogy
Guide to Birkenhead St Anne, Cheshire family history and genealogy: parish registers (baptism, christening, marriage, and burial records), civil registration (birth, marriage, and death records), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and websites.
Birkenhead, St. Anne, Beckwith Street. Built in 1847 as a chapel to Holy Trinity, becoming a separate parish in 1861; closed in 1987. There are no burials for this church.
BIRKENHEAD, a seaport town, a market town, and a township, and seven chapelries, in the district of Wirral, Cheshire. The town stands on the Mersey, opposite Liverpool, about a mile by water W of Liverpool, and 14 3/4 miles by railway NNW of Chester. It comprises the ancient extra parochial district or chapelry of Birkenhead, the former township of Claughton, in Bidstone, and part of that of Oxton, in Woodchurch. They have been incorporated with the township of Birkenhead. The place was anciently called Bircheved, Birkete, Birket-wood, and Birkenhedde.
There are upward of thirty non-established places of worship (including Claughton and Oxton). There are two Roman Catholic churches. There is also a Mariners' church. St. Anne, was formed out of St. Mary. 
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Birkenhead St Anne parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups (click links):
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|BIRKENHEAD ST ANNE Chapelry (1847) Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1850-1909
|FS BT'S||1888-1909|| NONE
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Parish registers for St. Anne's, Birkenhead, 1850-1954
St. Anne's Church is a chapelry created by 1850 from St. Mary's Church, Birkenhead.
Cheshire Record Office call no.: P 112/1/1-3, P112/3774/1/1-5, P 112/2, P 112/3774/2/1-3, P 112/3774/3/1-4
An index for Cheshire parish registers is available online in Record Search.
Here is a list of church records on microfilm at the Family History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City.
|Parish Registers Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, 1850-1950||BRITISH 2104040 Items 4 - 11|
|Marriages, 1862-1940. Banns, 1876-1938||BRITISH 2104041|
|Banns, 1938-1954||BRITISH 2104042 Item 1|
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Wilson, John Marius, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) adapted 5 February 2013
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.