Bircham Tofts, Norfolk Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 21:11, 29 January 2013 by Hildrethsusan1 (talk | contribs) (Added to Parish History)

Jump to: navigation, search

England  Gotoarrow.png  Norfolk Gotoarrow.png  Norfolk Parishes

Bircham Tofts Ru ins contributor Evelyn Simak.jpg

Parish History

BIRCHAM-TOFTS (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Docking, hundred of Smithdon, W. division of Norfolk, 7¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Burnham-Westgate. [1]


Bircham Tofts St Andrew was an Ancient Parish in the county of Norfolk. St Andrew's church is ruin in Church Lane and fell into disuse and disrepair when the small population could no longer sustain a rector and the parish was combined with Bircham Newton, Norfolk.

"BIRCHAM-TOFTS lies from half a mile to a mile E. of Great Bircham, and is a small village and parish, with 135 inhabitants and 1431 acres of land. It is in Docking union, Fakenham county court district, Smithdon and Brothercross petty sessional division, Docking polling district of West Norfolk, Heacham deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. The rateable value is £788. The Marquis of Cholmondeley is owner of the soil and lord of the manor. Nearly all the cottages were rebuilt about fifteen years ago by the late Marquis of Cholmondeley.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a small plain structure, consisting only of a nave and a square tower containing one bell, and surmounted by a small wooden spire."William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

Bircham Tofts is one of the three villages that make up the civil parish of Bircham, in the west of the English county of Norfolk. The village is located about 1 km east of the village of Great Bircham, 20 km north-east of the town of King's Lynn, and 60 km north-west of the city of Norwich.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Deposited registers for Parish Records of Great Bircham with Bircham Newton and Bircham Tofts reference PD34 Norfolk Record Office

Parish registers for Bircham-Tofts Microfilm copy of original in the Norfolk Record Office, Central Library in Norwich, Norfolk, England.

Baptisms, burials, 1715-1812; marriages, 1715-1754. Baptisms, 1813-1924. FHL BRITISH Film 1951566 Items 18 - 19
Marriages and marriage banns, 1754-1810. Marriages, 1813-1933. Burials, 1813-1956. FHL BRITISH Film 1951567 Items 1 - 4
Archdeacons transcripts, 1725-1812
Microfilm copies of original records in the Norfolk Record Office, Central Library, Norwich, Norfolk, England.

Baptisms and burials 1725-1812 Marriages 1727-1810 FHL BRITISH Film 1526809 Item 13

See

England Norfolk Church of England Parish Registers and Bishops’ Transcripts (FamilySearch Historical Records)

Census records

a. 

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.




Poor Law Unions

Docking Poor Law Union, Norfolk

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 248-255.