Bibb County, Alabama Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Bibb County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||February 7, 1818|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County CourthouseBibb County Courthouse,
35 Court Square East,
Centerville, AL 35042,
Phone: (205) 926-3103
County Clerk has marriage, probate and land records from 1818. Clerk Circuit court has divorce and court records.
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Alabama Minorities has information specific to Alabama African Americans.
Biographies of many notable residents of Bibb County, Alabama Genealogy were published in Memorial Record of Alabama (1893). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Begins on page 478.
- Caffee Cemetery, Woodstock, Bibb County, Ala. 1967. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
Additional Bibb County cemeteries are included in Alabama Cemetery Records Vol. 1 at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
For tips on accessing Bibb County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
|Sources: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml. through 1960|
Land and Property
To place a grant or deed on a map within context of Bibb County, Alabama Genealogy see:
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Bibb County, Alabama: with Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads, and More. Norman, Okla.: Arphax Pub. Co., 2007. This is a definitive work and can be used as an index to land grants. Digital version at HistoryGeo.com ($). Website includes free surname index. FHL Book 976.182 E7bg.
- Northern Alabama, Historical and Biographical. Birmingham, Ala.: Smith and De Land, 1888. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online. Bibb County, Alabama Genealogy begins on page 109.
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection. Incomplete.
- 1817-1936 - Bibb County, Alabama Marriage Boxes 1-8, Books J-K, and Index in "Alabama, County Marriages, 1809-1950," at FamilySearch.org - free.
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Alabama Voting Registers for 1867 are available online at the Alabama Department of Archives and History. Bibb County has two books:
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Bibb County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Bibb County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 35.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Coverage Table, "Alabama County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," FamilySearch Research Wiki, https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Alabama_County_Marriages_(FamilySearch_Historical_Records), accessed 6 August 2012.