Betws Bledrws, Ceredigion, Wales Genealogy
"BETTWS-BLEDRWS, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of MOYTHEN , county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES 3 1/4, miles (N. E.) from Lampeter, on the road to Trêgaron containing 235 inhabitants. At a short distance from the road is Dery Ormond, the seat of John Jones, Esq., an elegant modern mansion, erected in 1827, and beautifully situated under the shelter of a lofty hill covered with luxuriant plantations: the grounds, which are tastefully laid out, are ornamented with a small sheet of water, formed by the expansion of a rivulet by which they are intersected, and over which there is a bridge of handsome design. Though not upon a very large scale, this is one of the best houses in the county, and forms an interesting feature in the scenery of the place. Lead-ore is supposed to lie under the surface of this parish, but no attempt has been hitherto made to work it. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £4. 7. 8 ½ ., endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Bleddrws, is a very neat well-built edifice, altered and repaired in 1831, with a tower surmounted by a well-proportioned spire eased with slate: the interior is appropriately fitted up, and furnished with ranges of seats with high backs, elevated above each other, instead of pews, similar to the chapel of St. David's college, Lampeter, which were erected at the expense of John Jones, Esq., of Dery Ormond. There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists. Between Dery Ormond and the Teivy there is an ancient intrenchment called Castel Goedtrêv, situated on a farm to which it gives name. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £89.17."
[From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833]
For further information, see Betws Bledrws, Cardiganshire at genuki.org.uk