Bethnal Green St Matthew, Middlesex Genealogy
'BETHNAL-GREEN (St. Matthew), an ancient parish, was built by 1743, in the borough of the Tower Hamlets, Tower division in the Ossulstone Hundred, county of Middlesex. It lay about 2.5 miles northeast by east of St. Paul Cathedral. Also see the districts called Church, Green, Hackney-road, and Town divisions.'
'By 1870, there were upwards of 16 churches associated with and coming under the jurisdiction of this civil parish. There were also churches established for Baptists, Independents, Methodists, and others.' Here is a Comprehensive List of Chapels and District Churches Lying within the Civil Parish of Bethnal Green as of 1900.] 
The Victoria County History of Bethnal Green (1998) is available online. It includes chapters on estates, economic history, local government, churches, Roman Catholicism, Protestant nonconformity, Judaism, Buddhism, education, and charities for the poor.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection. Here is a list of church records on microfilm at the Family History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City.
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.
- Samuel Lewis, ed. "Besford - Beverley," In A Topographical Dictionary of England 223-228. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848), Online here. Adapted.
- A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11: Stepney, Bethnal Green (2004). URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/source.aspx?pubid=92 Date accessed: 25 March 2012.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Matthew, Bethnal Green in Tower Hamlets Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Bethnal Green St Matthew in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Bethnal Green St Matthew in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Bethnal Green St Matthew in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- Batches C046981, C046982, C046983, C046984, C046987, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.
- "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- 'Online Parish Register Search,' ParishRegister.com, accessed 12 March 2012.
- 'Webb's London Marriages - Marriages, periods and parishes/churches,' British Origins, accessed 12 March 2012.
- Batches M046982, M046983, M046984, M046985, M046986, M046987, M046988, M046989, M133031, M133032, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm