Bethlehem, Albany County, New York Genealogy
|Bethlehem, New York|
Location in Albany County
Albany County's location in the state of New York
|Founded||March 12, 1793|
|Address|| 445 Delaware Avenue|
Delmar, NY 12054
- 1 Quick Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Cemeteries
- 2.1.1 Beth Emeth Cemetery
- 2.1.2 Bethlehem
- 2.1.3 Calvary
- 2.1.4 Elmwood
- 2.1.5 Holy Spirit Evangelical Lutheran (Trinity)
- 2.1.6 Jerusalem Cemetery
- 2.1.7 Kimmey Cemetery
- 2.1.8 Mount Pleasant Cemetery
- 2.1.9 Onesquethaw Cemetery
- 2.1.10 Our Lady Help of Christians Cemetery
- 2.1.11 St. John’s/St. Anne’s Calvary Cemetery
- 2.1.12 St Matthew’s Lutheran Cemetery
- 2.2 Church History and Records
- 2.3 History
- 2.4 Native Races
- 2.5 Repositories
- 2.6 Vital Records
- 2.1 Cemeteries
- 3 References
Named after biblical town of Bethlehem.
1609: Henry Hudson may have landed at this spot.
12 March 1793: Town of Bethlehem founded, from Town of Watervliet.
1832: part of Town set off to create Town of New Scotland.
Villages, Halets and Communities
- Beckers Corners – A hamlet in the south part of the town at Route 9W.
- Bethlehem Center – A hamlet in the northeast part of the town.
- Cedar Hill – A hamlet in the southeast part of the town, east of the Thruway.
- Delmar, New York – A hamlet near the center of the town and the location of the town government. Formerly known as Adamsville.
- Elsmere – A hamlet east of and adjacent to Delmar.
- Glenmont, New York – A hamlet in the eastern part of the town.
- Houcks Corners – A hamlet south of Delmar.
- Karlsville – A hamlet in the north part of the town.
- Kenwood – A hamlet in the northeast part of the town.
- Normansville – A hamlet in the north part of the town.
- North Bethlehem – A hamlet at the north town line in the northeast part of the town.
- Selkirk, New York – A hamlet east of South Bethlehem.
- Slingerlands – A hamlet immediately west of Delmar and near the west town line.
- Spawn Hollow – A hamlet in the southwest corner of the town.
- South Albany – A hamlet in the south part of the town, north of South Bethlehem.
- South Bethlehem – A hamlet in the south part of the town.
- Wemple – A hamlet in the southeast part of the town.
- East: Hudson River
- North: City of Albany, Town of Guilderland
- West: Town of Scotland
- South: Town of Coeymans
All titles, unless otherwise indicated, are Family History Library Catalog (FHL) entries.
- Burying ground inscriptions, Town of Bethlehem, pub. 1947-1948 (FHL)
- Dutch Settlers Society Collection
- Inscriptions of Old family burying grounds, Town of Bethlehem, pub. 1940 (FHL)
Beth Emeth Cemetery
Glenmont, NY 518-436-9761
Located in Bethlehem Center 518-465-3970
80 Old Ravena Road, Selkirk, NY
- Dutch Settlers Society Collection, pub. 1927-1945 (FHL)
- Elmwood cemetery records, pub. 1932 (FHL)
- New York Gravestone Photo Project
Holy Spirit Evangelical Lutheran (Trinity)
Located on Old Quarry Rd, Feura Bush, NY Contact Jerusalem Cemetery Association, P.O. Box 151, South Bethlehem NY 12161
Mount Pleasant Cemetery
Contact the Mount Pleasant Cemetery, P.O. Box 68, South Bethlehem NY 12161
Contact the Onesquethaw Cemetery P.O. Box 113, Clarksville NY 12041
Our Lady Help of Christians Cemetery
Glenmont, NY (518) 463-0134
St. John’s/St. Anne’s Calvary Cemetery
St Matthew’s Lutheran Cemetery
Bethlehem Center, NY (518) 436-8672
Church History and Records
Records of Harvey B. Kimmey, minister (FHL)
- Church records of the Reformed Churches at Bethlehem and Coeymans (FHL)
- Reformed Church, Bethlehem Township, Albany, New York computer printout; births or christenings, 1799-1871 (FHL)
- Reformed Church, Bethlehem Township, Albany, New York computer printout; marriages, 1799-1861
first known in early years as Congregation of Bethlehem and Jericho. (original and photostatic records)
- Church records (FHL)
List of members
- Bethlehem revisted, a bicentennial story, 1793-1993 (FHL)
- Times remembered : chronicles of the towns of Bethlehem and New Scotland, New York (FHL)
- Index to Times remembered: chronicles of the towns of Bethlehem and Scotland, New York by Allison Bennett 1984 (FHL)
- Records of the people of the town of Bethelehem, Albany County, New York, 1698-1880 (FHL)
- Bethlehem revisted, a bicentennial story, 1793-1993 (including information about Mohican and River (Mohegan) Indians (FHL)