Bermondsey St Mary Magdalen, Surrey Genealogy
'BERMONDSEY St. Mary Magdalene, a parish and union, in the borough of Southwark, east division of the hundred of Brixton and of Surrey, 1½ mile south by southeast of London.
'A district church, dedicated to St James, was completed in 1830. A church district named Christchurch built in 1845, and one named St. Paul's in 1846: Another chapel was built by about 1847, according to Samuel Lewis (in 1848).
'There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans; and a handsome and spacious Roman Catholic chapel erected in 1834.'
See the above link to a "List of Churches and Chapels in St Mary Magdalene Bermondsey Parish" for more chapels attached to this ancient parish.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 214-223. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50794 Date accessed: 26 May 2010.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey in Southwark Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Bermondsey St Mary Magdalene in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Bermondsey St Mary Magdalen(e) in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Bermondsey St Mary Magdalene in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- 'Online Parish Register Search,' ParishRegister.com, accessed 12 March 2012.
- "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- "Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.