Berkshire County, Massachusetts Genealogy
- This article is about a western Massachusetts county. For other uses, see Berkshire.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Quick Facts
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
Berkshire County Courthouse
76 East Street
Pittsfield, MA 01201;
Clerk Court has divorce records 1761-1922 and court records from 1761;
Probate Judge has divorce records from 1922 and probate records from 1761;
Register of Deeds has land records 
Towns Organized Before 1800:
Great Barrington 1761,
Mount Washington 1779,
New Ashford 1781,
New Marlborough 1759,
Tyringham 1762, Washington 1777, West Stockbridge 1774, Williamstown 1765
- In 1997, the county governments of Essex, Berkshire, Hampden, Middlesex and Worcester were abolished. Pittsfield acts as a county seat for the area.
- Their functions were turned over to state agencies.
- Sheriffs in these counties still administer jails but their employees are state employees.
- The legislation to abolish these county governments transferred Registeries of Deeds to the jurisdiction of the Secretary of the Commonwealth.
- Bristol, Dukes, Nantucket, Norfolk, Plymouth and Suffolk county governments remain substantially unchanged.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Berkshire County, Massachusetts Genealogy census records online, see: Massachusetts Census.
1855 Massachusetts State Census—A free Internet index and images to the 1855 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search. This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1855, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors
1865 Massachusetts State Census—A free Internet index and images to the 1865 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1865, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Pittsfield, MA newspapers (1858-1977) and North Adams, MA newspapers (1895-1977) covering local news that included Hampden County residents.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Berkshire County MAGenWeb Project, an member of The MAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Berkshire County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Berkshire County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Berkshire County
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Berkshire County, Massachussetts, p.329.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].