Difference between revisions of "Benton County, Arkansas Genealogy"
|Line 88:||Line 88:|
==== Maps ====
==== Maps ====
==== Military ====
==== Military ====
Revision as of 20:50, 19 March 2013
Guide to Benton County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Benton County, founded September 30, 1836, was formed from Washington County, and is located in the northwest corner of Arkansas on the Ozark plateau. It adjoins Oklahoma to the west and Missouri to the north. The county seat is Bentonville, named in honor of U.S Senator Thomas Hart Benton of Missouri, who was instrumental in helping the Arkansas Territory achieve statehood.
|Benton County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||September 30, 1836|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Benton County Courthouse
215 E. Central, Suite 217
Bentonville, AR 72712-0699
Telephone: 479.271.1013- 1031
County Clerk has marriage records from 1861
and probate records from 1859; Clerk Circuit
Court has divorce, court and land records
- 1836--Benton County was created 30 September 1836 from Washington County. County seat: Bentonville. 
See an interactive map of Benton County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
- Adair County, Oklahoma
- Barry County, Missouri
- Delaware County, Oklahoma
- McDonald County, Missouri
- Cemeteries of Benton County - Index and Transcriptions - Benton County ARGenWeb
BillionGraves transcriptions, photos, and Google map for each cemetery.
- Bella Vista Memorial Garden Cemetery, Bella Vista
- Barron Cemetery, Bentonville
- Dog Hill Cemetery, Bella Vista
- Hillcrest Cemetery, Gravette
- Lee Cemetery, Sulphur Springs
- Silent Grove Cemetery, Springdale
- Wet Prairie Cemetery, Gravette
Biographies from the History of Benton County, Arkansas (1889) published by Goodspeed are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website
Historic maps of Benton County, Arkansas
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Arkansas, Benton County on page 191.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Arkansas section begins on page 439.]
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Benton County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Arkansas.
- Confederate Soldiers Buried in Benton County Arkansas
- Men from Benton County served in the 1st Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Union)1 and the 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Union)2 1Arkansas. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of Arkansas, for the period of the late rebellion, and to November 1, 1866 (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990). 2Allen, Desmond Walls. Third Arkansas Union Cavalry (Desmond Walls Allen, Conway, Arkansas) 1987, pp. 33-92.
Arkansas Online Historical Newspapers - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites. Includes newspapers for Benton County.
- Benton County, Arkansas Obituary Collection From GenealogyBuff.com ~ Free. From Various Funeral Homes in the Rogers, Bentonville, Siloam Springs,Lowell, Gentry, Gravette, Little Flock, and Pea Ridge areas.
- 1840 Federal Census Index and transcriptions, Benton County ARGenWeb
- 1850 Federal Census Index and transcriptions, Benton County ARGenWeb
Societies and Libraries
- Benton County Historical Society
- Northwest Arkansas Genealogical Society
- Bella Vista Public Library
11 Dickens Place
Bella Vista AR 72714
- Bentonville Public Library
405 S Main Street
Bentonville AR 72712
- Rogers Public Library
711 S Dixieland Road
Rogers AR 72758
Family History Centers
- Benton County ARGenWeb Part of the USGenWeb Project. Census and Cemetery transcriptions, Maps, Deed Records and more ...
- Family History Library Catalog
- Benton County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 66.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 15 August, 2012)