Ben Hill County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Ben Hill County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Ben Hill County, Georgia|
Location of Georgia in the U.S.
|Founded||July 31, 1906|
|Address|| Ben Hill County Courthouse|
602 401 E Central Avenue
Fitzgerald, GA 31750
Ben Hill County Website
- 1 Ben Hill County Georgia Courthouse
- 2 Ben Hill County Georgia History
- 3 Ben Hill County Georgia Places/Localities
- 4 Ben Hill County Georgia Genealogy Resources
- 5 Ben Hill County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Ben Hill County Georgia Genealogy Websites
- 7 Ben Hill County Georgia Genealogy References
Ben Hill County Georgia Courthouse
County Clerk has divorce, court and land records from 1907;
Probate Judge has birth, marriage, divorce, burial and probate records
Ben Hill County Georgia History
Local histories are available for Ben Hill County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Ben Hill County Georgia Places/Localities
Ben Hill County Georgia Genealogy Resources
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Ben Hill County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Ben Hill County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
Ben Hill County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Ben Hill County Georgia Genealogy Websites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Ben Hill County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Ben Hill County Georgia Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Ben Hill County, Georgia. Page 151 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).