Begin a search for Union records

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 16:56, 11 September 2008 by Jim1trek (talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Union military units existed for every state except South Carolina and these units kept records.

  1. Check each state for an index to the Compiled Military Service Records.  The FHL lists these indexes by state.  Search first by Locality <state>; then Military records - Civil War, 1861-1865 - Indexes; then alphabetically by the name of your ancestor.  Be sure to check alternate surname spellings. If your ancestor is in the index, write down the military unit.
  2. Look for your ancestor's service record in the Compiled Military Service Records.  If you ancestor enlisted in a unit for the Union army in a southern or western state, the FHL has these records.  Search first by Locality<state>; then Military records - Civil War, 1861-1865; then by compiled service records of volunteer Union soliders.  If your ancestor enlisted in other states, you must request copies of the record from the National Archives.
  3. Search for your ancestor's pension record.  Not all veterans received a pension