Difference between revisions of "Beaver County, Oklahoma Genealogy"
(Added Vital Records)
(→Military: Added Military Heading)
|Line 173:||Line 173:|
==== Military ====
==== Military ====
==== Newspapers ====
==== Newspapers ====
Revision as of 17:44, 17 August 2016
|Beaver County, Oklahoma|
Location in the state of Oklahoma
Location of Oklahoma in the U.S.
|Address|| Beaver County Courthouse |
111 W. 2nd Street
Beaver, Oklahoma 73932
Beaver County, Oklahoma genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church
- 5.4 Court
- 5.5 Land
- 5.6 Local Histories
- 5.7 Maps
- 5.8 Military
- 5.9 Newspapers
- 5.10 Probate
- 5.11 School Records
- 5.12 Taxation
- 5.13 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Beaver County, Oklahoma Record Dates
1890--Beaver County was created in 1890. It was an original county created from public lands.
County seat: Beaver 
For animated maps illustrating Oklahoma County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Oklahoma County Boundary Maps" (1819-1912) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Populated Places 
- Beaver (county seat)
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Oklahoma Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Beaver County, Oklahoma Genealogy census records online, see: Oklahoma Census.
State Census Records
- 1890 Oklahoma Territorial Census 1890 - Oklahoma Historical Societ
- 1890 and 1907 Oklahoma Territorial Census, 1890 and 1907 at Ancestry — index and image ($)
Federal Census Records
Federal Censuses were taken for Oklahoma starting in 1860. For links to Federal census indexes, see Oklahoma Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Oklahoma denominations, view the Oklahoma Church Records Wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Oklahoma Land and Property for additional information about early Oklahoma land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Beaver County, Oklahoma Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Oklahoma Local Histories.
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of Oklahoma - shows boundary changes for Oklahoma Counties
- Maps n More - county and township maps.
- Oklahoma Civil War Map of Battles
- 1775 - 1783 - United States Rosters of Revolutionary War Soldiers and Sailors, 1775-1783 at FamilySearch - images only
- For more nationwide Revolutionary War databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
- http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=9236 Oklahoma, Confederate Pension Index, 1915-1955] at Ancestry — index (free)
- For more nationwide Civil War databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
- For more nationwide World War I databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
- Oklahoma Military Deaths - Oklahoma Historical Society
- For more nationwide World War II databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
Oklahoma Newspapers Online
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of Oklahoma newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of Nebraska newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some Oklahoma newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
Oklahoma Newspaper Catalogs
- Oklahoma State Historical Society - catalog of known Oklahoma newspapers; lists repositories that have the newspapers
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Beaver County, Oklahoma Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Oklahoma, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Oklahoma - Beaver - Probate records.
- 1801 – 2008 Oklahoma Wills and Probate Records 1801-2008 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1887 – 2008 Oklahoma Probate Records 1887-2008 at FamilySearch — images
Oklahoma tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Online Birth Records Indexes and Images
Online Marriage Records Indexes and Images
- 1841 - 1927 Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Marriage, Citizenship and Census Records, 1841-1927 at Ancestry ($)
- 1870 - 1930 Oklahoma Marriages, 1870-1930 at FamilySearch Index only. *1870 - 1930 Oklahoma, Select Marriages, 1870-1930 at Ancestry — index ($)
- 1870 - 1930 Oklahoma, Marriages, 1870-1930 at My Heritage index ($)
- 1889 - 1951 Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, Marriage Index, 1889-1951
- 1890 - 1995 Oklahoma, County Marriages, 1890-1995 at FamilySearch Index and images
- OKGenWeb Oklahoma Marriages
Online Death Records Indexes and Images
- Obituaries Listed in the Oklahoman - Oklahoma Historical Society — index only
- United States Social Security Death Index
- 1935 - 2014 U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014 at Ancestry ($)
- 1936 - 2007 U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 at Ancestry, incomplete ($}
Online Divorce Records Indexes and Images
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Beaver County, OK History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Oklahoma Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Oklahoma Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Adair County, Oklahoma. Page 557 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Beaver County, Oklahoma," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_County,_Oklahoma, accessed 5 August 2016.