Bay County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Bay County Florida genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Bay County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||April 24, 1913|
|County Seat||Panama City|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Bay County Courthouse
300 E 4th St; PO Box 2269;
Panama City, FL 32402;
Heatlh Deptment has bird and death records;
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, probate, divoce, Court
ircuit has marriage, probate, divorce, ct & land rec from 1913
Bay County Health Department
597 W. 11th Street
Panama City, FL 32401
(850) 872-4720 x1122
FAX (850) 872-4824
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Florida counties see: Florida Counties with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
- Millville Cemetery ~ transcription ~ Interment
- Greenwood Cemetery ~ transcription ~ Interment
- Florida Tombstone Transcription Project - USGenWeb
- Interment.net - Florida cemetery records by County
- Veterans Administration National Cemeteries - Florida National Cemeteries
For tips on accessing Bay County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Federal Census Information from National Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service - USGenWeb Archives Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
- First Baptist Church of Southport History ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Catholic Churches in Bay County Florida ~ The Catholic Directory
- Florida Churches by City ~ Church Angel
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Bay County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- Maps of Florida (1821-1997)
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps, University of South Florida
- Florida State Military Files - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Pension Transcriptions - Florida state pension records from various wars - USGenWeb Pension Project
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Bay County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Bay County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Bay County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- Florida State Archives (paid resource)
Societies and Libraries
- List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Northwest Regional Library System
25 W Government Street
Panama City, FL 32412
Phone: (850) 872-7500
901 Ohio Avenue
Lynn Haven, FL 32444
Phone: (850) 265-2781
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Mexico Beach Florida Family History Center
- Panama City Florida Family History Center
- Bay County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Bay County FLGenWeb
- The FLGenWeb Project
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Bay County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Bay County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Bay County, Florida. Page 133 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).