Difference between revisions of "Bates County, Missouri Genealogy"
|Line 85:||Line 85:|
==== Probate ====
==== Probate ====
==== Taxation ====
==== Vital Records ====
==== Vital Records ====
Revision as of 19:22, 6 June 2013
Guide to Bates County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Bates County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||January 29, 1841|
|Address|| Bates County Courthouse|
1 N Delaware Street
Butler, MO 64730
Bates County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth and death records 1883-1887;
County Recorder has marriage recordsrec from 1860
and land records from 1840; Clerk Circuit Court has
divorce records from 1860; Probate Judge has probate
See an interactive map of Bates County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
For tips on accessing Bates County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
The old settlers' history of Bates County, Missouri from its first settlement to the first day of January, 1900 is available online free from Google Books.
- Family Maps of Bates County, Missouri Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Map of Bates County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Bates County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
- 1880-1911 - Bates County Birth Index 1880-1911. Batches C514634 and C514633 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1860-1877 - Bates County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1860-1877. Batch M514631 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1885 - Bates County Marriage Books 3 thru 5 Index 1877-1885. Batch M514632 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1911 - Bates County Death Index 1883-1911. Batch B514635 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Bates County, Missouri. Page 397 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.