Barton County, Kansas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1890 Census Veterans Schedules
Despite the destruction of the 1890 Federal Census, a few 1890 Census Veterans Schedules for the city of Great Bend in Barton County survived. They are available on roll 118 of "Special Schedules of the Eleventh Census (1890) Enumerating Union Veterans and Widows of Union Veterans of the Civil War" (NARA M123). The schedules list veterans and their widows who served as Union soldiers in the Civil War. For more information on the 1890 Veterans Schedules see Union Census Records.
Obituary Index for the Great Bend Tribune 1992-2003 Great Bend, Kansas. Can be accessed by name and by the date the obituary appeared in the newspaper. Index gives the Name, obituary date or dates, the town and the age. Copies can be ordered from the Great Bend Public Library.
Barton County Index of Obituaries & Death Notices 1925-1999. Includes people that lived in or around Barton County during their lives. Index gives name, year of birth and death. name of newspaper, date of death, and possible other information.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Barton County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).