Barthomley, Staffordshire Genealogy
BARTHOMLEY (St. Bertoline), a parish, partly in the union of Newcastle, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, but chiefly in the hundred of Nantwich, unions of Congleton and Nantwich, S. division of the county of Chester. 
Other places in the parish include: Balterley. It contained five townships: Alsager, Balterley, Barthomley itself, Crewe, and Haslington. Of these, Balterley township and (now) civil parish was and is entirely in the neighbouring county of Staffordshire, and Crewe was later renamed Crewe Green to avoid confusion with the neighbouring unparished borough and railway town. All five townships were made separate civil parishes in 1866.
The Cheshire part of the ancient parish lay within Nantwich Hundred, Nantwich Poor Law Union, and Nantwich Rural Sanitary District, whilst the Staffordshire part lay in North Pirehill hundred, Newcastle under Lyme Poor Law Union and Rural Sanitary District. Later on, the modern civil parish (now entirely in Cheshire) was part of Nantwich Rural District.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Barthomley, Cheshire contains details.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 161-164. Date accessed: 15 October 2012.