Difference between revisions of "Bartholomew County, Indiana Genealogy"
(added land and property template)
(added newspaper templates)
|Line 135:||Line 135:|
==== Naturalization and Citizenship ====
==== Naturalization and Citizenship ====
==== Newspapers ====
==== Obituaries ====
==== Obituaries ====
Revision as of 20:04, 16 July 2013
Guide to Bartholomew County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Bartholomew County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||January 8, 1821|
|Address|| Bartholomew County Courthouse|
440 3rd St; PO Box 924
Columbus, IN 47202-0924
Bartholomew County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business Records
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Gazetteers
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Histories
- 2.14 Land and Property
- 2.15 Maps
- 2.16 Military Records
- 2.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.18 Newspapers
- 2.19 Obituaries
- 2.20 Probate Records
- 2.21 Public Records
- 2.22 Repositories
- 2.23 School Records
- 2.24 Taxation
- 2.25 Vital Records
- 2.26 Voter Registration
- 2.27 Web Sites
- 3 References
For tips on accessing Bartholomew County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Residents of Bartholomew County, Indiana (1821) (Indiana Genealogical Society, members only database)
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Bartholomew County, Indiana (1880) (Indiana Genealogical Society, members only database)
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
For more information about these major repositories, see Indiana Church Records.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Bartholomew County, Indiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies; church, school and government histories; and military information.
History of Bartholomew County, Indiana: From the Earliest Time to the Present, with Biographical Sketches, Notes, Etc. : Together with a Short History of the Northwest, the Indiana Territory, and the State of Indiana.(Chicago: Brant & Fuller, 1888.) 977.224 H2h v. 1 & v.2 FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection FamilySearch Books Online other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Indiana Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
After land was transferred from the government to private ownership, subsequent transactions were recorded at the courthouse, where records are currently housed.
See Indiana Land and Property for additional information about early Indiana land grants and patents.
- Family Maps of Bartholomew County, Indiana Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Civil War service men from Bartholomew County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment)that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Bartholomew County.
- 6th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company B, and Reorganized Company C, and G
- 8th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company F
- 10th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies B, K, and L
- 11th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company F
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K, Reorganized Company E
- 19th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 22nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies E, and G
- 30th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company A
- 33rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies G, and I
- 40th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 93rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, C, E, and F
- 120th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 128th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 140th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A, D, E, and K
- 144th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 145th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, and H
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
Civil War Book
"Military History" Chapter 6 in History of Bartholomew County, Indiana: From the Earliest Time to the Present, with Biographical Sketches, Notes, Etc. : Together with a Short History of the Northwest, the Indiana Territory, and the State of Indiana.(Chicago: Brant & Fuller, 1888.),( page 431-469, Regiment, Companies) 977.224 H2h v. 1 & v.2 FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection FamilySearch Books Online INTERNET ARCHIVE
World War I (The Great War), 1914-1918
World War II, 1941-1945
Naturalization and Citizenship
Bartholomew County, Indiana Genealogy newspapers may contain genealogical value including obituaries, births, marriages, deaths, anniversaries, family gatherings, family travel, achievements, business notices, engagement information, and probate court proceedings. The Indiana Division of the Indiana State Library has the state’s largest newspaper collection. Their newspaper microfilms are available through inter-library loan. For a county-by-county inventory of their 16,500 reels of Indiana newspaper microfilms, see their Indiana Collection.
For more Indiana newspaper information see the wiki page Indiana Newspapers.
In most counties in Indiana, probate records have been kept by the county clerk of the circuit court. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
County Clerk has marriage, probate, and court records from 1821,
Some naturalization, cemetery and military records.
County Recorder has land records from 1821.
Vital Statistics has birth and death records from 1882 
Family History Centers
- Graduates of Columbus Central High School (1922) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Selected Alumni of Columbus Central High School (1872-1921) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Teachers of Columbus Central High School (1922) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Indiana law in 1882 required registration of births and deaths in counties. The Indiana Department of Health has birth records filed after October 1907 and death records filed after January 1900 for deaths. Copies may be obtained from the county health department or the Indiana State Division of Vital Records. See also How to order Indiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
Marriage licenses were required by counties beginning in 1800. Original marriage records are held at the office of the Bartholomew County, Indiana Genealogy County Clerk with divorce records located with the Bartholomew County, Indiana Genealogy Clerk of Courts.
- 1780-1992 Indiana Marriages FamilySearch
- 1802-1892 Indiana Marriages Ancestry.com $
- 1811-1959Indiana Marriages FamilySearch
- 1882-1920 Indiana Death Index FamilySearch
- Voters of Columbus, Bartholomew County, Indiana (1839, 1847) (Indiana Genealogical Society, members only database)
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Bartholomew County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Bartholomew County, Indiana History, Records, Facts and Genealogy - N2genealogy
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/9/91/Igiindiana.pdf.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Bartholomew County, Indiana 211 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.