Barry County, Missouri Genealogy
Guide to Barry County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Barry County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||January 5, 1835|
|Address|| Barry County Courthouse|
700 Main, Suite 6
Cassville, MO 65625
Telephone: (417) 847-2914
Barry County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Records Deeds has marriage and land records;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records;
Probate Judge has probate records
See an interactive map of Barry County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
All of the cemeteries in Barry county Missouri are listed here: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mobarry/cemetery/rschcemtery.htm They also have directions to the cemeteries, photos of the cemeteries and photos of most of the head stones.
For tips on accessing Barry County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
- Family Maps of Barry County, Missouri Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Map of Barry County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Barry County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1886 Barry County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Joplin newspapers and Neosho newspapers from the early 1900's that covered local news on residents from Barry County communities.
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
- 1883-1885 - Barry County Birth Index 1883-1885. Batches C514613 and C514614 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1837-1877 - Barry County Marriage Books A thru C Index 1837-1837. Batch M514611 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1885 - Barry County Marriage Books D and E Index 1877-1885. Batch M514612 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1883-1885 - Barry County Death Index 1883-1885. Batch B514615 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Biographies from The History of Barry County, Missouri (1888) published by Goodspeed are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Barry County, Missouri. Page 397 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.