Difference between revisions of "Baraga County, Michigan Genealogy"
(working on bread crumbs)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
''[[United States|United States]] [[Michigan]] Baraga County''
== County Courthouse ==
== County Courthouse ==
Revision as of 22:33, 29 January 2013
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- City: none
- Villages: Baraga | L’Anse
- Townships: Arvon | Baraga | Covington | L’Anse | Spurr
- Communities: Alberta | Arnheim | Assinins | Aura | Bear Town | Covington | Herman | Huron Bay | Imperial Heights | Keweenaw Bay | Nestoria | Pelkie | Pequaming | Skanee | Three Lakes | Tioga | Tunis | Vermilac | Watton | Zeba
Michigan Cemetery Sources Search for cemeteries in Michigan by county and/or township.
Civil War service men from Baraga County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Baraga County.
P.O. Box 567
Baraga, MI 49908
PHONE: (906) 353-8444 or (906) 353-6810
The Baraga County Historical Museum has a complete record of all BIRTHS, MARRIAGES, DEATHS, in Baraga County from 1875 to 1950s. For information prior to 1875, records of birth, marriages and deaths would be in the Houghton County files. The Museum also has a large photograph collection that may be copied for families searching for their roots.
The Museum also has the Strieter scrapbook which was Mrs. Strieter’s collection of photographs and newspaper clippings of all babies born in her birthing home. This book unfortunately has been badly vandalized and is not available to the general public for review; however, Museum volunteers will search it for you.
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Baraga County MIGenWeb Project, an member of The MIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Baraga County, Michigan page 343, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).