Ancestral Homelands: southeastern Idaho and western Wyoming.
The Bannnock tribe lived in what is now the Colorado, Utah, Montana and Oregon in the early 1800's. Jim Bridger an Rocky Mountain trapper and trader established trade relations with the Bannock tribe. He received furs in exchange for supplies.
In 1868 a treaty was signed at Fort Bridger with the Eastern Band of Shoshoni.
The Fort Hall Reservation was estalished in 1869,
The Bannock and Sheepeater Wars were fought during the year 1878. At the conclusion of the wars the Bannock, Shoshoni and Sheepeater were all sent to the Fort Hall Reservation.
1700s: acquired horses -- spread to Colorado, Utah, Montana and Oregon 1829: Jim Bridger established trade relations with the Bannock 1869: Fort Hall Reservation established 1878: Bannock War 1878: Sheepeater War; Sheepeaters are of Bannock and Shoshone tribes who migrated north to the Salmon River Mountains in Idaho and hunted mountain sheep as their main food. 1878: Sheepeaters sent to Fort hall Reservation with their Bannock and Shoshone kin.
The primary reservation for the Bannock Indians is the Fort Hall Reservation in eastern Idaho.
Additional References to the History of the Tribe
- Frederick Webb Hodge, in his Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, gave a more complete history of the Bannock tribe, with estimations of the population of the tribe at various time periods.
- Additional details are given in John Swanton's The Indian Tribes of North America.
- For additional history of the tribe, read more....
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||
M595 RG 75 Roll 693
|Bannock||Wind River Agency, 1873-1952||
Washington D.C. and Denver
|Bannock||Fort Hall Agency, 1889-1963||Washington D.C. and Seattle||Rolls 138-44||576493-499|
|Bannock||Lemhi (Fort Hall) Agency, 1889-1963||Seattle||Roll 248||576937|
- Fort Hall Agency, M595, births and deaths 1927-1932,FHL Film: 576497 and births and deaths1924-1934,FHL Film: 576498 and births deaths and marriages 1935-39 FHL Film: 576499
- 1868 July 3, at Fort Bridger with the Eastern Band Shoshoni
Important Web Sites
Hodge's history of the Bannock Indians.
Official tribal web site for the Shoshone-Bannock Indians.
Wikipedia article about the Bannock Tribe.
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published