| Bancroft Library University of California, Berkeley
- The Bancroft Library
- University of California
- Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
Telephone: 510-642-6481 Reference desk
Hours and holidays: Bancroft Reading Room
Directions, maps, and public transportation:
Internet sites and databases:
- The Bancroft Library general information, collections, research programs, reference and access services, events, exhibits, and publications.
- OskiCat UCB Library Catalog searchable by keywords, title, author, subject, and series title.
The Bancroft Library is the University's main special collections library. It is one of the largest and most heavily used libraries of manuscripts, rare books, and unique materials in the United States including more than 600,000 volumes, 60,000,000 manuscript items, 8,000,000 photographs, 43,000 microforms, and 23,000 maps. Of interest to genealogists are the premier Western Americana, and Latin Americana collections, including Native Americans, Spanish encounter and colonial settlement, exploration of western America, maps and atlases, the Mexican War, westward migration, the Gold Rush, mining, land surveys, religious and Utopian communities, and ethnic communities. Themed collections include African Americans in California, CalHeritage, California Cultures, California Loyalty Oath, Chinese in California, Italians in California, Japanese Relocation, and private land claim cases in California (ca. 1850-ca. 1890).
- Collection guides Bancroft Library's finding aids (OAC).
- Biography and Genealogy Resources at the Bancroft Library including books, manuscripts and other printed materials, newspaper and periodical indexes for California, handbooks and manuals.
- Dale L. Morgan, and George P. Hammond, A guide to the manuscript collections of the Bancroft Library, 2 vols. (Berkeley : Published for the Bancroft Library by the University of California Press, 1963-1972). At various libraries (WorldCat). FHL Book 979.467 A3b.
- Charles Faulhaber, and Stephen Vincent, eds, Exploring The Bancroft Library (Salt Lake City, Utah: The Bancroft Library in association with Signature Books, 2006). At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Barbara Lee Hill, Genealogy: A Guide to the UC Berkeley Library (Berkeley, CA: The Library Associates, The General Library. University of California, Berkeley, 1984). At various libraries (WorldCat). FHL Book 979.465/B1 A3h.
If you cannot visit or find a source at the Bancroft Library, a similar source may be available at one of the following.
- National Archives Pacific Region (Riverside)
- National Archives Pacific Region (San Francisco)
- California State Library (Sacramento)
- Family History Library, Salt Lake City, 450 computers, 3,400 databases, 3.1 million microforms, 4,500 periodicals, 310,000 books of worldwide family and local histories, civil, church, immigration, ethnic, military, Mormon records.
- New York Public Library Genealogy Division has an outstanding collection of American history at national, state and local levels; international genealogy and heraldry in Roman alphabets; Dorot Jewish collection; photos; New York censuses, directories, and vital records.
- Allen County Public Library, Fort Wayne, Indiana, features a premier genealogical periodical collection, genealogies, local histories, databases, military, censuses, directories, passenger lists, American Indians, African Americans, and Canadians.
- California State Archives
- Sutro Library (California State Library)
- California Historical Society
- California Genealogical Society
- Chinese Historical Society
- Alameda County Clerk-Recorder
- Alameda County Superior Court
- Alameda County Historical Society
- African American Museum and Library at Oakland
- Livermore-Amador Genealogical Society