Difference between revisions of "Bancroft, Idaho"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m
m (fixed links)
(6 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 19: Line 19:
 
=== Cemeteries  ===
 
=== Cemeteries  ===
  
&nbsp;<br>There are many cemeteries in Cariboua County list of those that have been identified, and links to transcriptions and/or photographs of tombstones, go to Cariboua a County, Idaho Cemetery Records.  
+
&nbsp;<br>There are many cemeteries in Caribou County list of those that have been identified, and links to transcriptions and/or photographs of tombstones, go to Caribou a County, Idaho Cemetery Records.  
  
 
=== Church History and Records  ===
 
=== Church History and Records  ===
Line 37: Line 37:
 
===== Historical  =====
 
===== Historical  =====
  
Many of the original records of church units are in the [http://lds.org/churchhistory/library Church History Library] in Salt Lake City. Many of the membership records covering these units from the date of their creation to about 1948 have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City or at its [http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp Family History Centers].&nbsp; Records of the [http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=189507&disp=Record++of++members%2C++%5B1907%5D%2D194%20%20&columns=*,0,0 Bancroft Ward] (1907-1948) (found under Bannock County) are included.  
+
Many of the original records of church units are in the [[Family History Library|Church History Library]] in Salt Lake City. Many of the membership records covering these units from the date of their creation to about 1948 have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City or at its [[Introduction to LDS Family History Centers|Family History Centers]].&nbsp; Records of the {{FHL|189507|title-id|disp=Bancroft Ward}} (1907-1948) (found under Bannock County) are included.
  
 
==== Episcopal  ====
 
==== Episcopal  ====
Line 55: Line 55:
 
=== Ghost Town  ===
 
=== Ghost Town  ===
  
5 miles south of Bancroft near at the corner of Linden Canyon and Fish Creek roads sits the Lund Store. The Lund Store is on the Hudson Cut off on the Oregon Trail.(below historical site on Fish Creek. The well is the pioneer watering hole. A pioneer cemetery and much history in this valley. A well known paranormal team investigated the store and found high electrical readings in the store with no electricity. Many voice recordings, a wheel chair slamming the wall while everyone watched in awe. The store is being restored by relatives of some of the first settlers in the valley. The store has security and no trespassing signs. The store will soon be a home.  
+
5 miles south of Bancroft near at the corner of Linden Canyon and Fish Creek roads sits the Lund Store. The Lund Store is on the Hudson Cut off on the Oregon Trail (below historical site on Fish Creek). The well is the pioneer watering hole. A pioneer cemetery and much history can be found in this valley. A well known paranormal team investigated the store and found high electrical readings in the store with no electricity. Many voice recordings, a wheel chair slamming the wall while everyone watched in awe. The store is being restored by relatives of some of the first settlers in the valley. The store has security and no trespassing signs. The store will soon be a home.  
  
 
http://www.ghostsofamerica.com/8/Idaho_Bancroft_ghost_sightings.html  
 
http://www.ghostsofamerica.com/8/Idaho_Bancroft_ghost_sightings.html  
Line 65: Line 65:
 
When the Oregon Short Line Railroad was built through Idaho, a station known as Squaw Creek Station was established on a small stream know as Squaw Creek, where a water tank was built, and also a saw mill owned by Joseph Tolman a Latter-day Saint, who lived in Chesterfield. John Ashton took up a ranch about one and a half miles southwest of the station and burned line. Other settlers came in later and Ira Call opened the first store in the station. The community was named for William H. Bancroft, railroad executive. The total population of the Bancroft Precinct was 587 in 1930.  
 
When the Oregon Short Line Railroad was built through Idaho, a station known as Squaw Creek Station was established on a small stream know as Squaw Creek, where a water tank was built, and also a saw mill owned by Joseph Tolman a Latter-day Saint, who lived in Chesterfield. John Ashton took up a ranch about one and a half miles southwest of the station and burned line. Other settlers came in later and Ira Call opened the first store in the station. The community was named for William H. Bancroft, railroad executive. The total population of the Bancroft Precinct was 587 in 1930.  
  
Additional history of Bancroft, Idaho and the early Mormon settlers there can be found in: <br>Andrew Jenson. Encyclopedic History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Salt Lake City: Deseret News Publishing Company, 1941, p. 40.<br>
+
Additional history of Bancroft, Idaho and the early Mormon settlers there can be found in: <br>Andrew Jenson. Encyclopedic History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Salt Lake City: Deseret News Publishing Company, 1941, p. 40.<br>
  
 
=== Maps  ===
 
=== Maps  ===
Line 74: Line 74:
  
 
=== Newspapers  ===
 
=== Newspapers  ===
 +
 +
===== Historical  =====
  
 
Copies of a [http://history.idaho.gov/newspapers_a-b.html Bancroft newspaper] entitled the ''Bancroft Standard'' for 28 Jan. 1933 through 28 Dec. 1934 are in the Idaho State&nbsp;Archives in Boise.  
 
Copies of a [http://history.idaho.gov/newspapers_a-b.html Bancroft newspaper] entitled the ''Bancroft Standard'' for 28 Jan. 1933 through 28 Dec. 1934 are in the Idaho State&nbsp;Archives in Boise.  
Line 79: Line 81:
 
The ''North Gem Journal'' was a weekly newspaper published in Bancroft. It was advertised as a "supplement to the ''Soda Springs Sun''." Copies for 1 May 1847 through 18 May 1948 (at which time its publication was suspended) are available online at Ancestry.com ($).  
 
The ''North Gem Journal'' was a weekly newspaper published in Bancroft. It was advertised as a "supplement to the ''Soda Springs Sun''." Copies for 1 May 1847 through 18 May 1948 (at which time its publication was suspended) are available online at Ancestry.com ($).  
  
===== Historical <br> =====
+
===== &nbsp;<br> =====
 
 
Obituaries
 
  
 
=== School Records  ===
 
=== School Records  ===

Revision as of 13:35, 1 October 2011

United States Gotoarrow.png Idaho Gotoarrow.png Caribou County Gotoarrow.png Bancroft

Quick Facts

Wikipedia
Wikipedia has more about this subject: Bancroft, Idaho

Former name

Geographic location

City Hall

Bancroft Clerks
P.O. Box 39
Bancroft, Idaho 83217
(208) 648-7648

Resources

Biography

Cemeteries

 
There are many cemeteries in Caribou County list of those that have been identified, and links to transcriptions and/or photographs of tombstones, go to Caribou a County, Idaho Cemetery Records.

Church History and Records

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Current

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

311 South Main Street

Bancroft, ID 83217

Historical

Many of the original records of church units are in the Church History Library in Salt Lake City. Many of the membership records covering these units from the date of their creation to about 1948 have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City or at its Family History Centers.  Records of the Bancroft Ward (1907-1948) (found under Bannock County) are included.

Episcopal

Presbyterian

Roman Catholic

Directories

The Idaho State Archives in Boise has a collection of city, county, regional and state directories.

Funeral Homes

Marsh Valley Funeral Home
421 Center St
McCammon, Idaho 83250
(208) 254-3786

Ghost Town

5 miles south of Bancroft near at the corner of Linden Canyon and Fish Creek roads sits the Lund Store. The Lund Store is on the Hudson Cut off on the Oregon Trail (below historical site on Fish Creek). The well is the pioneer watering hole. A pioneer cemetery and much history can be found in this valley. A well known paranormal team investigated the store and found high electrical readings in the store with no electricity. Many voice recordings, a wheel chair slamming the wall while everyone watched in awe. The store is being restored by relatives of some of the first settlers in the valley. The store has security and no trespassing signs. The store will soon be a home.

http://www.ghostsofamerica.com/8/Idaho_Bancroft_ghost_sightings.html

History

When the Oregon Short Line Railroad was built through Idaho, a station known as Squaw Creek Station was established on a small stream know as Squaw Creek, where a water tank was built, and also a saw mill owned by Joseph Tolman a Latter-day Saint, who lived in Chesterfield. John Ashton took up a ranch about one and a half miles southwest of the station and burned line. Other settlers came in later and Ira Call opened the first store in the station. The community was named for William H. Bancroft, railroad executive. The total population of the Bancroft Precinct was 587 in 1930.

Additional history of Bancroft, Idaho and the early Mormon settlers there can be found in:
Andrew Jenson. Encyclopedic History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Salt Lake City: Deseret News Publishing Company, 1941, p. 40.

Maps

Military History and Records

Minorities

Newspapers

Historical

Copies of a Bancroft newspaper entitled the Bancroft Standard for 28 Jan. 1933 through 28 Dec. 1934 are in the Idaho State Archives in Boise.

The North Gem Journal was a weekly newspaper published in Bancroft. It was advertised as a "supplement to the Soda Springs Sun." Copies for 1 May 1847 through 18 May 1948 (at which time its publication was suspended) are available online at Ancestry.com ($).

 

School Records

Web Sites

References