In 1787 the North Carolina legislature considered Tennessee part of its territory. They authorized and funded the blazing of a settlers' trail by Peter Avery, along with 300 soldiers to protect that road from Cherokee Indians angry about a road crossing their land without permission. The trail connected East Tennessee (Knoxville) with Middle Tennessee (French Lick, or Nashville).
- South end of Clinch Mountain (near Blaine, Grainger, Tennessee)
- Knoxville, Knox, Tennessee
- Fort Southwest Point, Kingston, Roane, Tennessee
- Fort Blount, Jackson, Tennessee
- Bledsoe’s Fort, Castalian Springs, Sumner, Tennessee
- Mansker’s Fort, Goodlettsville, Davidson, Tennessee
- Fort Nashborough, Nashville, Davidson, Tennessee
Settlers and Records
For partial list of settlers who used the Avery's Trace, see .