Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- 1 Title in the Language of the Record
- 2 What Is in the Collection?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues With This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
Title in the Language of the Record
Österreich, Wien, jüdischen Register der Geburten, Heiraten und Sterbefälle, 1784-1911
What Is in the Collection?
This Collection will include records from 1850 to 1896. It consists of registers of births, marriages, deaths, and some burials for the Jewish Community of Vienna (Israelitische Kultusgemeinde Wien).
For a list of records by localities and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browselink from the collection landing page.
These records are in German. For help reading the records, see the following wiki article:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1784-1911.|
Birth Registers may include the following:
- Name of Declarant/Father
- Declarant's Age, Occupation and Residence
- Name and Gender of Child
- Date and Place of Birth
- Parents' Names, including Maiden Name of Mother
- Names of Witnesses or Godparents
- Witnesses’ Age, Occupation and Residence
Marriage Registers may include the following:
- Date and Place of Marriage
- Groom's Age, Marital Status, Occupation and Residence
- Names of Groom's Parents, including Maiden Name of Mother
- Bride's Age, Marital Status, Occupation and Residence
- Names of Bride's Parents, including Maiden Name of Mother
- Birthplaces of Bride and Groom
- Witnesses' Names, Age and Occupation
Death Registers may include the following:
- Date and Place of Death and Burial
- Name and Age of Deceased
- Cause of Death
- Father of Deceased and his Occupation
- Date and Birthplace of Deceased
- Marital Status of Deceased
- If Married, the Name of the Spouse
How Do I Search the Collection?
When searching it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's name
- Age and or residence
- An estimated event year
- A parent's name
Search by name by visiting the Collection page:
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information in the list to what you already know about your ancestor to determine if it is the correct family or person. You may need to compare several persons in the list before you find your ancestor.
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
To search by image follow this series of links:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the "Town or City" category
⇒ Select "Record Type" category
⇒ Select "Item Description" which takes you to the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1784-1911. Click on camera icon to see images.|
What Do I Do Next?
I Found Who I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the age in the record to find an approximate birth year, which will help you find their other records.
- Use the information to find your ancestors in civil records. There may not be census records available but these can help you find additional family members.
- Repeat this process with additional family members found to find more generations of the family.
I Can’t Find Who I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc.
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality in an area search.
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images.
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. Try searching for these names as well.
Known Issues With This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1784-1911." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2017. Citing Jüdische Gemeinde Wien. Niederösterreichischen Stadt und Landesarchiv Wien.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.