Austria, Tirol, Innsbruck, Sankt Jakob Parish Register Index - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Austria, Tirol, Innsbruck, Sankt Jakob Parish Register Index, 1578-1970
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Innsbruck, Tirol, Austria|
|Flag of the Republic of Austria|
|Coat of arms of Tirol|
|Location of Innsbruck, Tirol, Austria|
|Location of Austria in Europe|
|Title in the Language:||Österreich, Tirol, Innsbruck, Sankt Jakob Kirchenbuch Index, 1578-1970|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of indexes to baptisms, marriages, and deaths in the parish of Sankt Jakob, Innsbruck, Tirol. The original index volumes are located in the Innsbruck City Archives, Austria. The records spans the years from 1578 to 1970. The parish is named after the dome of the cathedral: St. Jakob. The cathedral itself is named the Cathedral of St. James. The church became of of the most significant religious sites in Austria, and has been a site of worship since 1180.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
For help reading these German records see the following guides:
- German Language and Languages
- German Genealogical Word List
- Germany Handwriting
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Austria, Tirol, Innsbruck Sankt Jakob Parish Register Index, 1578-1970.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The information in these records usually include the following:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
When searching, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's name
- Age and or residence
- An estimated event year
- A parent's name
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Quellengattung, Zeitraum, und Bandnummer to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Austria, Tirol, Innsbruck, Sankt Jakob Parish Register Index, 1578-1970. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the age in the record to find an approximate birth year, which will help you find their other records
- Use the information to find your ancestors in civil records. There may not be census records available but these can help you find additional family members
- Repeat this process with additional family members found to find more generations of the family
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Consult the Austria Record Finder to find other records
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality in an area search
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Austria.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.