Austria, Diocese of Gurk, Catholic Church Books (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
|This article describes a collection of records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
|Gurk, Carinthia, Austria|
|Flag of the Republic of Austria|
|Location of Gurk, Carinthia, Austria|
|Location of Austria in Europe|
|Record Type:||Church Records|
|Title in the Language:||Österreich, Diözese Gurk-Klagenfurt, Kirchenbücher 1603-1939|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection will include records from 1603-1939. The collection will contain registers of births, marriages, and deaths from the Roman Catholic Diocese of Gurk in Carinthia, Austria.
For Help Reading the Records[edit | edit source]
These records are written in German. For help reading these records see the following:
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You will be able to browse through images in this collection when it is published.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Click on images for a larger view.
How Do I Search the Collection?[edit | edit source]
When searching it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's name
- Age and or residence
- An estimated event year
- A parent's name
Search by name by visiting the Collection page:
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information in the list to what you already know about your ancestor to determine if it is the correct family or person. You may need to compare several persons in the list before you find your ancestor.
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
To search by image: follow these links:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the "Town or Parish"
⇒Select the "Event Type"
⇒Select the "Inclusive Years" which takes you to the images
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found Who I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the age in the record to find an approximate birth year, which will help you find their other records.
- Use the information to find your ancestors in civil records. There may not be census records available but these can help you find additional family members.
- Repeat this process with additional family members found to find more generations of the family.
I Can’t Find Who I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc.
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality in an area search.
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images.
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. Try searching for these names as well.
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Austria.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
A citation will be available on the Collection Details page when the collection is published.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.