Atchison County, Missouri Genealogy
- This article is about a northwestern Missouri County. For other uses, see Atchison.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1843--Atchison County was created 23 February 1843 from Holt County. County seat: Rock Port Atchison County was originally named Allen County when it was formed in 1843. It was renamed Atchison, County in 1845.
See an interactive map of Atchison County border changes at N2Genealogy.com.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- Fremont County, Iowa
- Nemaha County, Nebraska
- Otoe County, Nebraska
- Page County, Iowa
- Richardson County, Nebraska
- Pleasant Ridge Cemetery, Fairfax BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Atchison County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
A Biographical History of Nodaway and Atchison counties, Missouri compendium of national biography (1901) is available online free from Google Books. Part I contains biographies of national celebrities. Part II (starts on p.219) contains biographies of Atchison and Nodaway county residents.
- Map of Atchison County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Atchison County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Early migration routes to and from Atchison County, Missouri Genealogy for European and African American settlers included:
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Jim Tompkins, "The Oregon Trail 1841-1848 Map I" in Oregon Trail Landmarks at http://www.oregonpioneers.com/OTMap1.jpg (accessed 18 July 2011).
- "Oregon California Trails Association" at http://octatrails.micromaps.com/ (accessed 18 July 2011).
- "The Pioneer Story: The Mormon Pioneer Trail" in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at http://lds.org/gospellibrary/pioneer/pioneerstory.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).