Astley, Shropshire Genealogy
Guide to Astley, Shropshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Atcham|
|Parish registers: 1695; For more records see Shrewsbury St Mary|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1708|
|Probate Court||Court of the Royal Peculiar of St Mary Shrewsbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Shropshire Record Office|
ASTLEY, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Mary, union of Atcham, liberties of Shrewsbury, N. division of Shropshire, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Shrewsbury.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Astley parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ASTLEY PARISH (1692) Online Records|
Bishop's transcripts held at Lichfield Record Office Bap 1813-1879 Marr 1830-1831 Bur 1813-1878
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Shropshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Samuel A. Lewis, Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 100-104. Date accessed: 01 May 2012.
- 'Shropshire Baptisms 1538-1900,' FindMyPast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Marriages 1538-1900,' FindMyPast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Burials 1538-1900,' FindMyPast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 9 September 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.