Ashford, Middlesex Genealogy
Return to the Middlesex Parishes page.
ASHFORD (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Staines, hundred of Spelthorne, county of Middlesex, 4 miles (N. E. by N.) from Chertsey; containing 524 inhabitants. It comprises 1378a. 3r. 14p., of which the greater portion is arable, and about 100 acres meadow and pasture; the surface is generally flat, and the soil a gravel resting on blue clay. The surrounding scenery is pleasing, and enlivened by several handsome residences. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Staines; impropriator, J. Irviug, Esq. The great tithes were commuted in 1809 for land and a money payment, under an inclosure act; and the vicarial tithes have since been commuted for £100: there is a glebe of 26½ acres. The church is a small edifice, built in 1796, at the expense of the principal inhabitants. A Sunday school is endowed with the interest of £438, three and a half per cent. consols.
From: 'Ashcombe - Ashill', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 85-88. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50763 Date accessed: 02 April 2010.