Difference between revisions of "Arlesey, Bedfordshire Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m
m (moved Arlesey to Arlesey, Bedfordshire: added county for consistency)
(No difference)

Revision as of 05:34, 12 May 2010

England Gotoarrow.png Bedfordshire Gotoarrow.png Arlesey

Parish History

ARLESEY, Arlsey, or Arsley, a village and a parish in Biggleswade district, Beds. The village stands on the river Hiz, a little E of the Great Northern railway, 4 miles ESE of Shefford; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Baldock, and was formerly a market-town. The parish comprises 2,370 acres. Real property, £5,357. Pop., 1,401. Houses, 270. The property is divided among a few. An ancient castle stood at Etonbury, near the road to Baldock; and appears, from an entrenchment which still remains, to have been a place of considerable strength. The living is a vicarage, united with Astwick rectory, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £420.* Patron, James Curtis, Esq. The church is a plain edifice; was recently fitted with new benches; and contains some ancient monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and extensive brickworks.

The above is from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72).

Neighboring parishes

Resources

Parish Records

Civil Registration District

Woburn

Poor Law Union

Probate Jurisdiction

References

Bibliography

Genealogy and History Websites

See Arlesey's page on GENUKI.org.uk.