Arkansas County, Arkansas Genealogy
- This article is about a county in eastern Arkansas. For other uses, see Arkansas (disambiguation).
|Arkansas County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||December 31, 1813|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Townships and Cities
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
1813--Arkansas County was created 31 December 1813. County seat: DeWitt.  Its existence predates the state of Akansas which was admitted to the union in 1836. Arkansas County was created from New Madrid County, Missouri Territory. Arkansas County was part of the Missouri Territory from 1813 to 1819 and part of the Arkansas Territory from 1819 to 1836.
See an interactive map of Arkansas County border changes at N2Genealogy.
1810 and 1820 are missing.
Civil War service men from Arkansas County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Arkansas County.
====Civil War Battle Fought in Arkansas County
- January 9-11, 1863 = Operations against Vicksburg (1862-1863)
Arkansas Online Historical Newspapers - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites. Includes newspapers for Arkansas County.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Townships and Cities
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).