Arkansas Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Arkansas Births and Christenings, 1812-1965
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Arkansas, United States|
|Flag of Arkansas|
|Location of Arkansas|
|Record Type||Births and Christenings|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This is an electronic index of births and christenings for the years 1812 to 1965. This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Births and christenings may contain:
- Birth date and place
- Christening date and place
- Names of parents
- Birthplace of parents
Sample of Indexed Information
|Edgar Nicolas Smith||Arkansas Births and Christenings|
|Name||Edgar Nicolas Smith|
|Christening Date||26 Apr 1867|
|Christening Place||Saint Johns Episcopal, Fort Smith, Sebastian, Arkansas|
|Birth Date||20 Jan 1867|
|Father's Name||Samuel E. Smith|
A coverage table for this collection is available in the wiki article Arkansas Births and Christenings, Coverage Table (FamilySearch Historical Records)
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- The location or date of the event
Search the Index
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I was Looking for, What Now?
- Look at an image of the original record, if possible. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index
- Use the information to find other records such as marriage, death, or census records
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname, unless the surname is a common surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives that can be verified by records
I Can’t Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Try viewing any original indexes to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc.
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames, middles name, or an abbreviation of their given name
- Consult the Arkansas Record Finder to find other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Arkansas, Births and Christenings, 1812-1965" Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.