Appomattox County, Virginia Genealogy
|Appomattox County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||February 8, 1845|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Genealogy
- 4.6 Historic Residences
- 4.7 Land
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Migration
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Petitions
- 4.14 Probate
- 4.15 Research Guides
- 4.16 Taxation
- 4.17 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
P.O. Box 672
Appomattox, VA 24522-0672
For a detailed list, including addresses, phone numbers, and external links, see Appomattox County, Virginia Cemeteries.
The following is a list of cemeteries in Appomattox County:
- Tombstone Transcription Project Appomattox County - photos and transcriptions - USGenWeb
For tips on accessing Appomattox County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Appomattox County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 125 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Compiled genealogies covering multiple Appomattox County families include:
- Featherston, Nathaniel Ragland. Appomattox County History and Genealogy. Baltimore, MD: Reprinted for Clearfield Co. by Genealogical Pub. Co., 1998. FHL Collection 975.5625 H2f; digital version at World Vital Records ($). This book contains numerous genealogies for families of Appomattox County. For a list of surnames please see World Vital Records ($).
- Heritage Book Committee. Appomattox County, Virginia. Summersville, W. Va.: S.E. Grose and the Appomattox Heritage Committee, 2001. FHL 975.5625 H2a
- [Banton] Futrell, Roger Henry Lofland. William Banton & James K. Polk Banton of Appomattox County, Virginia & Logan County, Kentucky. Frankfort, Ky.: R.H. Futrell, 2003. FHL 929.273 B228fr; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Burton] Harrison, Francis Burton. Burton Chronicles of Colonial Virginia being Excerpts from the Existing Records, Particularly Relation to the Burtons of the Valley of the James and Appomattox; with Especial Reference to the Ancestry of Jesse Burton of Lynchburg (1750?-1795). Microfilmed 1972. FHL 897253 Item 1
- [Cheatham] Chilton, Harriett A. Robertson Cheatham of Appomattox, Campbell County, Virginia. Falls Church, Va.: H.A. Chilton, 1990. FHL 929.273 C41c
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795592 Item 5 Includes Appomattox County.
- [Flagg] Nowery, Sharon Lee. Flagg-Rucker Family History Appomattox and Campbell Counties, Virginia. Rock Hill, S.C.: S.L. Nowery, 1994. FHL 929.273 F597na
- [Hunter] Chilton, Harriett A. Hundred Hunter Cousins Grandchildren of Benjamin Hunter, Senior (1770-1845) of Appomattox County, Virginia. Falls Church, Va.: H.A. Chilton, 1976. FHL 929.273 A1 no. 2798
- [Wright] Grant, Robert N. Wright Family Birth Records, Marriage Records, and Personal Property Tax Lists, Appomattox County, Virginia. Westminster, Md.: Heritage Books, 2006. FHL 929.273 W93gav
- [Wright] Grant, Robert N. Wright Family Census Records, Deed Records, Land Tax Lists, Death Records and Probate Records, Appomattox County, Virginia. Westminster, Md.: Heritage Books, 2006. FHL 929.273 W93ga
- Smith, Ethel Marion. "Clover Hill. Early History of an Old Appomattox Landmark," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 57, No. 3 (Jul., 1949), pp. 269-273. Digital version at JSTOR ($). [Includes information about the Patteson family.]
Grants and Patents
- Bannister et al. 482 patents dated 1739-1828 in what is now Appomattox County, Virginia placed on a map. DeedMapper, 2010. [Names of those who received land patents, dates, land descriptions, and references may be viewed free of charge (click "Index" next to the county listing); however, in order to view the maps, it is necessary to purchase Direct Line Software's DeedMapper product.]
- Featherston, Nathaniel Ragland. Appomattox County History and Genealogy. Baltimore, MD: Reprinted for Clearfield Co. by Genealogical Pub. Co., 1998. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.5625 H2f. Digital version at World Vital Records ($). This book contains numerous genealogies for families of Appomattox County. For a list of surnames please see World Vital Records ($).
- Elliott, Katherine B. Emigration to Other States from Southside Virginia. 2 vols. South Hill, Virginia: K.B. Elliott, 1966. Vol. 1 of original edition available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 W2e v. 1; 1983 reprints (both volumes) available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 W2e 1983; 1990-1992 reprints (both volumes) also available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 W2e 1990-1992. [Includes individuals who migrated out of Appomattox County to other parts of the country.]
- Hopkins, Luther W. From Bull Run to Appomattox: A Boy's View. Baltimore: Press of Fleet-McGinley Co., 1914. FHL Collection 6082797 (2 copies); digital version at Ancestry ($).
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Governnment Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Appomattox County, pp. 61-62.]
- Eckenrode, H.J. Virginia State Library: A Calendar of Legislative Petitions Arranged by Counties Accomac - Bedford. Richmond, Va.: Davis Bottom, Superintendent of Public Printing, 1908. Digital version at Google Books (full-view). [Appomattox County petitions (1846-1860) are described on pp. 132-135.]
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Appomattox County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 4, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1960):79-80. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 B2vg; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
-  Chilton, Harriett A. Appomattox County, Virginia Tax Lists, 1845 Only Extant Record for the First Year the County was Established, Includes Land Tax Rolls, Personal Property Tax Rolls. Falls Church, Va.: H.A. Chilton?, 1975. FHL 975.5625 R4c
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
- Wikipedia Contributors, "Appomattox County, Virginia," in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appomattox_County,_Virginia, accessed 13 January 2012.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Burned Record Counties (VA-NOTES). (n.d.). Library of Virginia. Retrieved October 1, 2009, from http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/guides/va22_burnedco.htm.
- USGS Map, Topozone.com