Difference between revisions of "Antioch California Family History Center"
(Updated Special Opening Hours)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
The Antioch California Family History Center serves the communities of Antioch, Bethel Island, Brentwood, Byron,Discovery Bay, Knightson, Oakley and Pittsburg. It is a local family history center in the broader area covered by the Oakland Regional Family History Center.<br>
The Antioch California Family History Center serves the communities of Antioch, Bethel Island, Brentwood, Byron, Discovery Bay, Knightson, Oakley and Pittsburg. It is a local family history center in the broader area covered by the Oakland Regional Family History Center.<br>
=== Center Contacts and Hours ===
=== Center Contacts and Hours ===
Revision as of 02:02, 29 September 2011
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Antioch California Family History Center serves the communities of Antioch, Bethel Island, Brentwood, Byron, Discovery Bay, Knightson, Oakley and Pittsburg. It is a local family history center in the broader area covered by the Oakland Regional Family History Center.
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- 2350 Jeffery Way
Brentwood, California 94513
(This is not a mailing address. Due to limited staff, Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries.)
- The Family History Center entrance is located at the northwest door of the church building. Parking is in the north side parking lot. There is a Family History Center sign at the entrance door. You may need to ring a bell for entrance to the Family History Center during operating hours.
- Map to the Antioch California Family History Center.
Phone: 925-634-9004 (Call during Family History Center hours.)
- Tuesday 9 am - 1 pm, 6 pm - 9 pm
- Wednesday 9 am - 1 pm, 6 pm - 9 pm
- Thursday 9 am - 1 pm
- Special Saturday Opening on October 8 and November 12, 2011 from 9 am - noon
- Closed the week of Thanksgiving.
- Closed the last three weeks of December.
Calendar and Events
- "Digging for Your Roots," 17th Annual Family History Seminar presented by the Concord Family History Center. To be held 15 October 2011 at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1590 Denkinger Road, Concord, California from 8 am to 4:30 pm. Registration for syllabus due September 30, 2011. Contact Jackie Hein, 2129 North 6th Street, Concord, California 94519. Seminar and Syllabus: $25/person. Seminar only: $7/person.
Staff Training Meetings
Staff meetings are held on the first Thursday evening of each month, 7 pm - 8:30 pm at the family history center.
- Family History Library Catalog: This center is able to receive any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog for viewing by patrons. Patrons may order films for delivery to the Family History Center online at www.familysearch.org/films.
- A catalog of all of the books, periodicals, CD's and extended loan microfilms and microfiche held by the Antioch Family History Center is available online at www.oaklandfhc.org.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- NEHGS Subscription: This center has a library subscription to the New England Historical and Genealogical Society web page, www.americanancestors.org.
Hardware and Equipment
- This center has four microfilm readers, three for 35 mm film and one for 16 mm film, two microfiche readers, a film reader/printer, and six computers which provide access to Internet databases and local CD databases. A shared printer is also connected to the computers.
Resources in the Local Area
The Antioch Library is a part of the Contra Costa County Library and also contains microfilm records of the Antioch Ledger and Contra Costa Times local newspapers prior to the electronic database of the county library.
Contra Costa County Clerk Recorder is the governmental source for obtaining copies of vital records in this area.
The Pittsburg Historical Society is located at 515 Railroad Avenue, Pittsburg, California.
The Antioch Historical Society is located at 1500 W. Fourth Street, Antioch, California.
The East Contra Costa Historical Society and Museum is located at 3890 Sellers Avenue, Brentwood, California.