Anglesey, Wales Genealogy
Anglesey (Welsh: Sir Fôn or Môn) was one of the thirteen historic counties of Wales.
It is an island in the Irish Sea, separated from mainland Wales by the Menai Strait.
The county was created under the terms of the Statute of Rhuddlan in 1284 and consisted of the cantrefi (hundreds) of Aberffraw; Rhosyr and Cemais.
Motto: Môn Mam Cymru (English: Anglesey, Mother of Wales)
Chapman Code: AGY
Under the Local Government Act 1972, the county and administrative county of Anglesey were abolished, for both local government and ceremonial purposes, on April 1, 1974. Anglesey became part of the newly formed county of Gwynedd, which covered the whole of north-west Wales.
Following further local government reorganisation the county of Gwynedd was re-structured, and on April 1, 1996 the county status of Anglesey was restored.
However, in March 2011, after "years of political infighting" the Welsh Government removed all executive functions from Anglesey council and appointed commissioners to run the authority.
- Parish: an area of varying size under the responsibility of a clergyman of the Church of England/Church in Wales
- Hundred: an administrative subdivision of a county, usually a group of two or more parishes
- Sub-district: comprised of more than one civil parish
- Registration District
- Poor Law Union
See a list of the parishes in Anglesey with links to their pages.