Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts Genealogy
- 1 Town Hall
- 2 Quick History
- 3 Resources
- 4 References
62 Friend St.
Amesbury, MA 01913
Establishment and former town name(s) 
23 May 1666: Salisbury-new-town established as a town, from part of Salisbury
27 May 1668: Name of the town of Salisbury-new-towne changed. "Salisbury new toune..may be named Emesbury." The spelling in the margin of the records is "Amsbury". (Massachusetts Bay Records, Vol. IV, part 2, p. 376.)
Archiac name: Emesbury, Little Salisbury, New Salisbury, Salisbury-new-toune.
Section/Villages within the town: Allen's Corner, Amesbury Ferry, Attitash, Meadow Brook, Pleasant Valley, Pond District, Rings Corner, Rocky Hill, Salisbury Point.
Boundary Changes 
15 May 1667: Bounds between Salisbury-new-towne and Haverhill established.
12 May 1675: Just and full bounds allowed to "Amesbury". (Massachusetts Bay Records, Vol. V, p. 40.)
15 March 1844: Part of Salisbury
11 April 1876: Part established as Merrimac.
16 June 1886: Part of Salisbury annexed.
1 July 1886:
13 April 1981: Town charter adopted.
9 April 1996: New town charter adopted which established city form of government.
Church History and Records
Societies, Libraries and Museums
- Vital Records of Amesbury Massachusetts to the Year 1850 Google Books
- Historical data relating to counties, cities, and towns in Massachusetts (Boston, Massachusetts : New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1997), [FHL book 974.4 H2h 1997].