Amelia County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies
Has anyone studied my Amelia County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than 50 family history books and articles have been published about Amelia County's families.
- Main article: Amelia County, Virginia
- Amelia County, VA Genealogy Forum, courtesy: GenForum.
- Amelia - Family History & Genealogy Message Board, courtesy: Ancestry.
- Amelia County Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
- Amelia County, Virginia Surnames (Linkpendium) contains links to more than 125 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
- Hardesty, H.H. et al. Amherst County Families and History: Compiled from Henry Hardesty's Historical and Geographical Encyclopaedia. Wytheville, Va.: J. Presgraves, 1995. FHL Book 975.5496 D2h.
- Pritchett, John W. Southside Virginia Genealogies. CD-ROM. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2007. Free online index, courtesy: Virginians - The Family History of John W. Pritchett. [Pritchett's book contains compiled genealogies of multiple Amelia County families. Includes a great deal of information about residents of Amelia County; see discussion of cited sources.] FHL US/CAN CD-ROM no. 3887. Purchase at Virginians.com.
- Rice, Horace R. The Buffalo Ridge Cherokee: A Remnant of a Great Nation Divided. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, c1995. FHL Book 970.3 C424rh.
- Seaman, Catherine Hawes Coleman. Tuckahoes and Cohees: The Settlers and Cultures of Amherst and Nelson counties 1607-1807. Sweet Brier, Va.: Sweet Briar College Printing Press, c1992. FHL Book 975.549 H2sc.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Bates] Bates of Old Virginia, Wayne Witt Bates, and Bates Association. The Bates Booster: The Bates Family of Old Virginia. Centreville, Va.: Bates Family of Old Virginia, 1972-. FHL Collection 929.27305 B318
- [Batte] Hamiln, Charles Hughes. "Batte and Allied Families: Genealogical Research Reports to a Client," The National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 60, No. 1 (Mar. 1972):8-12; Vol. 60, No. 2 (June 1972):103-107; Vol. 60, No. 3 (Sep. 1972):207-212. FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 60
- [Benjamin] Brown, Harvey N. The Benjamins of Cecil County, Maryland. Long Island City?, N.Y.: H.N. Brown, 1943. FHL 1843762 Item 2
- [Booker] Eggleston, Joseph Dupuy. Letter, 1928 March 17, Hampden-Sydney, Va., to John Marshall Booker, New York, [N.Y.]. Donated 1998. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Booth] Booth, Timothy Douglas and Carlson F. Booth. Booth(e) Family History: One Lineage from Thomas, Sr. (1705-1767) of Amelia County, Virginia to Present. Centreville, Virginia: T.D. Booth, 1994. FHL 929.273 B644btd.
- [Botton] Gottschalk, Kathrine Cox. The Botton Family of Henrico, Chesterfield, Amelia and Other Counties in Virginia, Sparrow Family of Virginia Notes. Typescript, 1958. FHL 2055393 Item 7.
- [Chappell] Chappell, Anne Lorean Young and Florence Guttery. Chappells and Stanleys of Bedford County, TN; Jasper County, GA; Fayette and Tuscaloosa Counties, AL; and Hill and Johnston Counties, TX: Information by and about These and Allied Families and Neighbors Acquired from Various Public and Private Sources Including Personal Family Letters and a Transcript of the Voluminous Estate Records of Miles Chappell, 1790-1887. Memphis, Texas: A.L.Y. Chappell, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 C368cs.
- [Clardy] Clardy, L. Len. Progeny of Benjamin Clardy ? / 1792 and his wife Millicent (?) Clardy ? / 1803 Amelia County, VA. Alpharetta, Ga.: L.L. Clardy, 1997. FHL 929.273 C541cc.
- [Collins] Sullivan, Elsie Smiley. Hix-Collins-Word & Related Families. Rossville, Georgia: E.S. Sullivan, 1990. FHL 929.273 H642s.
- [Crockett] Smith, Elizabeth. "The Family of Alexander Crockett," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 3, No. 13 (Feb. 1980):18-20. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 3 (1980).
- [Croucher] Fox, Judy Kellar. "Documents and DNA Identify a Little-Known Lee Family in Virginia," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 99, No. 2 (June 2011):85-96. FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 99
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795592 Item 5 Includes Amelia County.
- [Ellington] See also Motley.
- [Ellington] Ellington, J.S.C. "Ellington Family," Tyler's Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 10 (1929):207-208; Vol. 12 (1930):71-72. Reprinted in Genealogies of Virginia Families from Tyler's Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine. Volume I: Albidgton-Gerlache. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc., 1981. Free Name Search; publisher's bookstore: Genealogical.com; FHL Book 975.5 D2gvf v. 1.
- [Fleming] Fleming, Steve Alvin. Acorn. Utica, Kentucky: McDowell Publications, 1997. FHL 929.273 F629fL.
- [Forrest] See Motley.
- [Fowlkes] Shelburne, Robert Craig. The Fowlkes Family. Typescript, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Va. Genealogical Notes [Collection], Box 3, Fowl. FHL 29883 Item 3
- [Garrett] Garrett, Hester Elizabeth. A Book of Garrotts: Descendants of John and Susanna Garrott of Amelia County, Virginia Including Notes on the Following: Agee, Bondurant, Cayce, Faure, Featherstone, Garnett, Jones, and Waggener. Owensboro, Kentucky: McDowell Publications, 1980. The FHL has Volume 2 FHL 929.273 G192g v. 2.
- [Garrett] Garrett, Hester Elizabeth. A Book of Garretts. Supplement Number Three: This Book has Corrected and Added Information on Descendants of John and Susannah Garrott of Amelia County, Virginia. It has also Some Information on Garretts of Lee County, Va. and of Lebanon County, Pennsylvania ... Utica, Kentucky: McDowell Publications, 1983. FHL 929.273 G192g supp. 3; Supplement 1; and Addendum.
- [Garrott] See Garrett.
- [Hall] Hall, Wm. B. "Two Unrelated John Halls of Amelia County, Virginia," The William and Mary Quarterly, Second Series, Vol. 17, No. 2 (Apr., 1937), pp. 285-291. FHL 973 H25w v. 17 1908-1909; digital version at JSTOR ($).
- [Harris] Wiggins, Kathryn. The Harris Papers: A Genealogical Notebook. Camarillo, California: [K. Wiggins, 1968?- ]. FHL 929.273 H24w. 1970-1971 edition: FHL Film 1318111 Items 6-8 [Volume 22 includes Amelia County.]
- [Harris] Taylor, William R. "Evidence of the Descent of William Harris of Goochland Co., Va., and his Father William Harris of Henrico, New Kent, Hanover, and Louisa cos., Va., from Maj. William Harris, son of Capt. Thomas Harris of Jamestown," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 22, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1978):261-270. Available at FHL; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Hubbard] Bowling, Noland Hubbard. Meet Your Ancestors Some Descendants of Robert Hubbard (ca. 1600-1663) Westmoreland, New Kent, Amelia, Halifax, Lunenburg, Pittsylvania Counties, Virginia and Other States: Families Allied by Marriage: Arnn (Aron, Aaron), Adkins (Atkins), Clement (Clements) ... Utica, Ky.: N.H. Bowling, 1985. FHL 929.273 H861m
- [Hudson] Hudson, Malcolm Howard. Hudson Ancestors My Father Never Knew. [Longview, Texas]: M.H. Hudson, 1986. FHL Book 929.273 H867hum
- [Hudson] Jeffrey, James K. William Hudson Family. Donated 2007. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Jackson] Martin, Doris Jackson. The Jackson-Rudd Family Revolutionary and Civil War Records, Amelia, Powhatan and Chesterfield counties [Va.]. 1983-1986. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Jones] Coke, Ben H. Genealogical Notes Concerning the Jones Family. 2000. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Lea] Lee, Dorothy Greenman. Descendants of William Lea of Amelia Co., Va. (Leigh, Lea, Lee): Allied Families of Taylor, Thompson, Penn, Shelton, Weisiger, Rochester, Standifer. Pleasant Hill, California: D.G. Lee, 1992. FHL 929.273 L464L.
- [Moseley] Forsythe, Warren L. "Resolving Conflict between Records: A Spurious Moseley Bible," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 84, No. 3 (September 1996):182-199. FHL Book 973 B2ng
- [Motley] Frakes, Lola Bernice. The Motleys of Virginia. Provo, Utah: J.G. Stevenson, 1963. FHL 929.273 M857f; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Oliver] Linehard, Oliver William. The Olivers. [St. Louis, Mo., 1970]. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Osborne] Harrell, Elizabeth Jean. The Osbornes and Related Families; Jones, Worsham, Fowlkes, Robertson and Gayle. Los Altos, Calif.: B. Harrell, 1983. FHL 929.273 Os1h
- [Parks] Clark, Henry William. Genealogies of the Clark, Parks, Brockman and Dean, Davis and Goss Families: In Five Parts. Montgomery, Ala.: [s.n.], 1905. FHL 1033779 Item 3; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Perdue] Pardue, Ida M. Asa Perdue, b. 1817, VA., m. Frances Pucket : Amelia Co., VA., Chesterfield Co., VA., Dinwiddie Co., VA. Typescript, donated 1988. FHL 929.273 A1 no. 1707.
- [Perdue] Pardue, Ida M. James Perdue, b.1810/20, VA., m. Cynthia, Wayne Co., W.VA. Big Bear Lake, Calif.: I.M. Pardue, 1988. FHL 929.273 A1 no. 1707
- [Perkinson] Robinson, Quay H. Perkinson Kin Warren County, North Carolina, Granville County, North Carolina, Vance County, North Carolina, Mecklenburg County, Virginia. Macon, N.C.: Q.H. Robinson, 1982. FHL 929.273 P419r
- [Pettus] Duke, Walter Garland. Henry Duke, Councilor, His Descendants and Connections. Richmond, Va.: Dietz Press, 1949. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Book 929.273 D885d.
- [Pruitt] Prewitt, Richard A. Prewitt--Pruitt Records of South Carolina. Grimes, Iowa: R.A. Prewitt, 1981. FHL 1033812 Item 5
- [Rudd] Martin, Doris Jackson. The Jackson-Rudd Family Revolutionary and Civil War Records, Amelia, Powhatan and Chesterfield counties [Va.]. 1983-1986. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Seay] Thompson, Mrs. Arthur A. "The Family of Samuel Seay, Amelia County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 7, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1963):127-135. FHL 975.5 B2vg; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Seay] Seay, Raleigh F. "The Mystery of Mathew Seay: The Original Seay Family Immigrant," Tidewater Virginia Families: A Magazine of History and Genealogy, Vol. 6, No. 1 (May/June 1997):17-27; Vol. 6, No. 2 (August/September 1997):82-88. FHL Collection 975.51 D25t
- [Skelton] Skelton, Earl F. "The Skeltons of Colonial Virginia," Tidewater Virginia Families: A Magazine of History and Genealogy, Vol. 3, No. 2 (August/September 1994):86-100; Vol. 3, No. 3 (November/December 1994):151-162. FHL Collection 975.51 D25t
- [Southall] Warner, Seth. "Descendants of the Reverend Daniel Southall of Eastern North Carolina," The Genealogist, Vol. 21, No. 2 (Fall 2007):175-190; Vol. 22, No. 1 (Spring 2008):107-127; Vol. 22, No. 2 (Fall 2008):221-240. FHL 929.105 G286n.
- [Thomas] Thomas, Woodlief. The Search for Samuel Thomas and Susan Woodlief of Amelia/Nottoway County, VA. Spencerport, N.Y.: W. Thomas, 1994. FHL 1750823 Item 5; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Thomas] Thomas, Woodlief. A Supplement to "The Search for Samuel Thomas and Susan Woodlief of Amelia/Nottoway County, Virginia." Richmond, Va.: W. Thomas, 1994. FHL 1750825 Item 2; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Thomas] Thomas, Woodlief. The Search for Samuel Thomas and Susan "Suky" Woodlief of Amelia/Nottoway County, Virginia: A Work in Progress. Spencerport, New York: W. Thomas, 2003. FHL 929.273 T367tw 2003
- [Walton] Gottschalk, Kathrine Cox. The Walton Family of Virginia Abstracts from County Court Houses in Virginia. Typescript, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Va. Genealogical Notes [Collection] Box 16, Walt. FHL 29889 Item 2
- [Ward] Agns, Jean. "Some Wards of Nottoway Parish, Amelia County, and Their Connections," The William and Mary Quarterly, Second Series, Vol. 17, No. 1 (Jan., 1937), pp. 91-98. FHL 973 H25w v. 17 1908-1909; digital version at JSTOR ($).
- [White] Doliante, J. Sharon Johnson. Genealogical Serendipity. Vol. I. Families of: Greene, Scoggin, White, Dyer, Griggs, Hurt, Mackey, Phillips and Others. Alexandria, Va. 1965.
- [Wood] Eanes, Richard Henry. Papers, 1966-1978. 3 vols. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- Name Search at Genealogical.com is a comprehensive name index to 638 books and CDs published or reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Company (now Genealogical.com). For a complete list of the works included, see Publications in Name Search at Genealogical.com