Almer, Dorset Genealogy
St Mary's Church Almer, Dorset
|Type||Civil parishEcclesiastical parish|
|Poor Law Union||Blandford|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset|
ALMER, a parish in Blandford district, Dorset; on an affluent of the Stour, 3½ miles S by W of Spettisbury r. station, and 7 W by S of Wimborne-Minster. It contains the hamlet of Mapperton,not to be confused with the separate parish of Mapperton near Beaminster appox. 30 miles west of Almer.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Wilson, John M., Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, publ. London and Edinburgh: 1870
- Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Edward Alexander Fry, The Registers of Almer, Co. Dorset, 1538-1812 (London:Privately Printed for the Parish Register Society, 1907).
- Batch P002981, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Dorset, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 May 2012.
- Batch M002981, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Dorset, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 May 2012.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Dorset,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 23 April 2012.
- Dorset Coverage in FreeReg, FreeREG, accessed 21 May 2012.
- 'Dorset Baptism Index,' Find My Past, accessed 21 May 2012.
- 'Dorset Marriages,' Find My Past, accessed 21 May 2012.
- 'Dorset Burial Index,' Find My Past, accessed 21 May 2012.
- FamilySearch does not currently provide a coverage table for its database England, Dorset, Parish Registers, 1538-1910.
- 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 14 April 2012.
- 'Search Marriage Records in Dorset,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 21 May 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm