Allen Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Allen Parish Louisiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Allen Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||June 12, 1912|
|Address|| P.O. Box 248|
Oberlin, La. 70655
Allen Parish Courthouse Website
- 1 Parish Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Allen Parish is named for former Confederate States Army general and Governor of Louisiana Henry Watkins Allen. It was separated in 1912 from the larger Calcasieu Parish to the southwest.
For more information:
See an interactive map of Allen Parish boundary changes. (map also shows parish boundaries for census years)
Places / Localities
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- Allen Parish Cemeteries at La-Cemeteries
- Allen Parish Cemeteries - FindaGrave.com
- Interment.net ~ LA cemetery records by county
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
- Tombsone Transcription Project - Allen Parish
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Family History Centers
Local histories are available for Allen Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories. Louisiana Museums
- Family Maps of Allen Parish, Louisiana (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
- Allen Parish Zip Code Map
- Louisiana Military History Online
- Allen Parish, Louisiana World War II Casualties Army and Air Force
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Allen Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Allen Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Allen Parish Tourist Commission This site includes Allen Parish history as well as a Ward Map. Many of the Louisiana census records were recorded as wards.
- Allen Parish Genealogy
- US GenWeb - Allen Parish
- Allen Parish on Facebook
- Allen Parish on Louisiana.gov
- LAGenWeb - Louisiana State Records
- USGenWeb ~ Records, Maps, Archives and Other Projects Genealogy Research in Allen Parish, Louisiana]
- Louisiana Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project *Family History Library Catalog
- Allen Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Allen Parish, Louisiana p 289 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002). Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Handybook" defined multiple times with different content