Allen County, Ohio Genealogy
|Allen County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Created||April 1, 1820|
|Address|| 301 N. Main St.|
Lima, Ohio 45801-4456
Allen County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Historical Facts
- 3 Resources
- 3.1 Bible Records
- 3.2 Biography
- 3.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 3.4 Cemeteries
- 3.5 Census
- 3.6 Church Records
- 3.7 Court Records
- 3.8 Emigration and Immigration
- 3.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 3.10 Gazetteers
- 3.11 Genealogy
- 3.12 History
- 3.13 Land and Property
- 3.14 Local Histories
- 3.15 Maps
- 3.16 Migration
- 3.17 Military
- 3.18 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 3.19 Newspapers
- 3.20 Obituaries
- 3.21 Probate
- 3.22 Public Records
- 3.23 Repositories
- 3.24 Taxation
- 3.25 Vital Records
- 3.26 Death
- 3.27 Family History Centers
- 4 Web Sites
- 5 Places
- 6 References
Allen County Courthouse
301 N Main Street
Lima, OH 45801-4456
Probate Court has birth and death records from 1867,
marriage records from 1831 and probate records;
Clerk Courts has divorce and court records from 1831;
County Museum has naturalization records 1851-1929
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Shelby, Logan, and Mercer Counties 12 February 1820.
- County Seat: Lima
- Neighboring Counties: Allen County, Ohio Genealogyresidents may also have records in 
Auglaize (south) · Hancock (northeast) · Hardin (east) · Putnam (north) · Van Wert (west)
- 14 February 1848: Auglaize County was set off from the southern half of original Allen County.
- 1848: Monroe, Richland and southern half of Sugar Creek Townships were transferred from Putnam County.
- 1848: Parts of VanWert and Mercer counties were transferred to Allen County form Spencer Township and part of Marion Township.
- May 1853: Cash settlement was agreed upon by Allen and Putnam counties for Putnam's loss.
See an interactive map of Allen County boundary changes.
1929--Allen County Courthouse destroyed by fire on January 7, 1929. Many county records destroyed. 
Business Records and Commerce
- Cemetery transcriptions for the following cemeteries: Fisher, Harrods, Ridge, Westminster
- Salem Cemetery, Harrod BillionGraves
Cemeteries of Lima, Allen County, Ohio
- Gethsemani Cemetery, 2001 Spencerville Road, Lima, Ohio 45805, 419-223-1651
- Memorial Park Cemetery, 3000 Harding Highway, Lima, Ohio 45804, 419-223-3811
- Woodlawn Cemetery, 1751 Spencerville Road, Lima Ohio 45805, 419-223-9831
1850--Federal Census transcription and images
1920--index for surnames beginning with the letter "E" and "F"
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- The Shawnees (tribe) were removed to Kansas in 1832 from the Hog Creek Reservation (now Shawnee Township.)
- 1875 Personal Histories of Allen County Ohio.
- In 1885, oil was discovered in Lima. This brought about a boom that lasted until after 1910.
- Henry Howe’s 1889's depiction of the History of Allen County Ohio
Land and Property
Bureau of Land Management Database Transcription
It shows the original purchasers of land from the federal government and covers the period from pre-Revolutionary times up to 1908.
- Pensioners Living in Ohio in 1818-1819
- 1840 Census of Pensioners Revolutionary and Military Services
War of 1812
- Roster of Ohio Soldiers at The Ohio Historical Society
- Civil War service men from Van Wert County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Van Wert County.
World War I
- The Unreturning Brave (from WWI) published in 1925
- List of Dead Heroes Whose Bodies Rest in Allen County
- The names of the soldiers buried in different cemeteries of Allen county whose graves were decorated May 30, 1907
Naturalization and Citizenship
Family History Centers
- Allen County Ohio Genealogy Society Lima, Ohio.
- Allen County Museum and Historical Society Lima, Ohio, including the Elizabeth M. MacDonell Memorial Library for genealogical and historical research
1834 Tax Lists
- Amanda and Auglaize Townships
- Bath and Deuchoquette Townships
- German and Jackson Townships
- Marion, Perry and Wayne Townships
- 1836-1852 Pioneer marriages, Not all inclusive
- 1854 Taken from Lima Democratic News
- 1852-1860 Marriages from the Lima Dailey News
- 1860 Marriages from the Lima Democratic News
- 1861-1862 Marriage Books and Partial book B
- 1889-1893 Marriage Licenses
- 1900 Allen County Republican Gazette Marriages
- Marriages with no date
- Divorce Petitions and Decrees
- Divorce Petitions and Decrees for Allen and Van Wert Counties, and Surrounding Areas, 1898-1900
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch.org. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- Transcribed from Allen County newspapers of those who died in Allen and surrounding counties.
Family History Centers
- The 1880 Business Patron’s References is divided by town and township, each section has a unique set of information about their patrons.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Allen County OHGenWeb Project, a member of The OHGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Allen County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Adams County, Ohio. Page 540 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Allen County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
- GenDisasters.com - Lima, OH Allen County Courthouse Fire, Jan 1929 http://www3.gendisasters.com/ohio/7579/lima-oh-courthouse-fire-jan-1929
- "Allen County QuickFacts". U.S. Census Bureau. 2008-07-25. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/39/39003.html. Retrieved 2010-02-11.