Allen County, Kansas Genealogy
- This article is about a southeast Kansas county. For other uses, see Allen.
Allen County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Allen County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||August 30, 1855|
|Address|| Allen County Courthouse|
1 N. Washington
Iola, Kansas 66749-2841
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Allen County Courthouse
1 N Washington Street
Iola, KS 66749-2841
Clerk District Court has marriage records from 1856,
divorce, probate and court records 1860
and naturaltization records 1871-1929.
Register of Deeds has land and military records from 1860. 
1855--Allen County was created 30 August 1855 as an original county. County seat: Iola 
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Kansas Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Allen County, Kansas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Kansas Local Histories.
- Wallace, Duncan L. . History of Allen and Woodson counties, Kansas : embellished with portraits of well known people of these counties, with biographies of our representative citizens, cuts of public buildings and a map of each county. Iola, Kan.: Iola Register,1901. Digital version at: Internet Archive
Men from Allen County enlisted in:
The Iola Battalion in 1861
Three companies, commanded by Captains Coleman, Flesher and Killen
Two companies, commanded by Captain N. B. Blanton
Commanded by General J. H. Lane
In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Kansas, Allen and click Probate records.
Kansas tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Kansas Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Kansas Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county. Family History Library Catalog
- Allen County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Allen County, Kansas 248 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).