All Saints in Stanway and Lexden, Essex Genealogy
STANWAY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Lexden and Winstree, Colchester division of the hundred of Lexden, N. division of Essex, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Colchester; containing 807 inhabitants. This parish, which is about nine miles in circumference, and situated in a highly cultivated district, appears, from the remains of a second church, to have been formerly divided into the two parishes of Magna and Parva. A fair is held on the 23rd of April. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 17. 6., and in the gift of Magdalen College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £776, and the glebe comprises 79 acres. The church, which stands near the London road, is a small ancient edifice with a wooden turret. A second incumbency in the parish, a perpetual curacy, is in the gift of the Bishop of Rochester. Here is the workhouse for the union of Lexden and Winstree, built in 1837, at a cost of £6500: the union comprises 35 parishes or places, and contains a population of 20,881. A number of large bones and other remains, probably of elephants brought over by Claudius in the year 43, were found in 1764, lying in a stratum of sea sand and shells.
From: Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848). URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51298 Date accessed: 13 September 2011.
The diocese of Chelmsford was created in 1914, prior to this Essex parishes were in the jurisdiction of the Bishops of London until 1845 when they transferred to the diocese of Rochester. The diocese of Chelmsford has 474 parishes and 600 churches and is the second largest region in the church of England outside London.
The ruined church of ALL SAINTS com- prises a nave with a north porch and a west tower. Nothing survives of the 13th- or early 14th-century church comprising chancel, nave, and bell tower, the nave of which collapsed in the 1380s or 1390s. The nave was rebuilt c. 1400, and the north aisle, whose arcade sur- vives, and the west tower may have been built at the same time. There was an alabaster reredos behind the high altar in 1477, and the 'light beam' was painted in 1521. The church was repaired by John Swinnerton (d. 1616) as a pri- vate chapel; the chancel arch and north arcade were blocked with brick, and a brick north porch bearing the Swinnerton arms was added. By the early 18th century the church was 'utterly decayed', and has remained so.
The ruined churh is a listed building by English Heritage The listing records "derelict since c1700".
The present parish Church is a smaller structure, dedicated to St. Ethelbyrth, or Albright, a Saxon saint, from whom it was commonly called the "Chapel of St. Albright." It is a Norman fabric, with a wooden turret and three bells, and, a small addition was made at the east end, in 1826-7, when 80 fresh seats were provided.
The church of ST. ALBRIGHT (ETHEL- BERT), of flint and rubble with limestone and Roman brick dressings, comprises chancel with south chapel, and nave with south aisle, west bell turret, and north porch. The late 11th- century church comprised undivided nave and chancel, possibly entered by a west door. The nave walls and probably some of the rafters sur- vive. The chancel was rebuilt and the north porch added in the 15th century, perhaps by the Tey family, whose arms survived in the east window in the 1630s. The bell turret was built about the same time. The church was repaired in the 1620s and 1630s, and regularly main- tained thereafter. In 1707 there were north and south porches, but the south porch was later replaced by a small vestry which was demolished c. 1800. There was a west gallery by 1856. The church was extended eastwards in 1826, the medieval chancel being incorporated into the nave. The south vestry was rebuilt c. 1860. The church was enlarged and restored in 1879 when a new chancel with south vestry was built, a south aisle added to the nave, the gallery removed, and the north porch rebuilt, to plans by Sir G. G. Scott. The 15th-century piscina from the medieval chancel was rebuilt in the new one, and the 15th-century arcade from the demolished St. Runwald's church, Colchester, was rebuilt between the chancel and vestry. The bell turret and roofs were repaired in 1936.
The octagonal 15th-century font has alternating chalices and blank shields on its faces. The church plate is modern, the 3 chalices recorded in 1552 having been sold or lost; there are 2 pewter plates of c. 1750.
There were at least two bells in 1541, and three in 1684. In 1856 they were: (i) 1574, (ii) John Thornton 1710, (iii) Miles Gray 1610, but the first two were taken down in 1890 and sold in 1892. The remaining bell was repaired in 1936.
The graveyard was extended in 1858, 1897, and 1935. A lich gate was built as a war mem- orial in 1920.
From: 'Stanway: Churches', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10: Lexden Hundred (Part) including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe (2001), pp. 270-273. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15277&strquery=stanway Date accessed: 11 February 2011.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Online images are available Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office Stanway All Saints See also St Albright
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Index for the Census may be searched at FamilySearch Historical Records
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.