Albuquerque Indian School
The Albuquerque Indian School was established in 1881 at Duranes, New Mexico in 1881 and moved to Albuquerque in 1882. It was operated by the Presbyterian Home Mission Board until 1886, when it was turned over to the Office of Indian Affairs. From 1901 to 1911 the school had responsibility for the day schools and the agency duties for the pueblos in the area. The Albuquerque Indian School was placed under the jurisdiction of the United Pueblos Agency in 1935.
Some records of the Albuquerque Indian School are in the Rocky Mountain Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Denver, including:
- Nongraduated students' school folders, 1886-1954
- Student case files, 1909-1964
- Records of students treated for health issues, 1925-1933
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this school for 1904-1907, and 1910-1911. Most of the students at the school were Pueblo and Navajo Indians. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, roll 1. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm number 573847). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Albuquerque Indian School are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Roll 2, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm number 1724220).
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online