Available and Lost Census Schedules
|Alaska: Existing and Lost Federal Census Schedules|
|Exact Date||Population Schedules||Veterans/ Pensioners||Slave Owners||Mortality||Agricultural||Industrial/ Manufact- urers||Defective||Indian|
|1940 Apr 1||Public release in 2012||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|1930 Apr 1||Exist||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|1920 Jan 1||Exist||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|1910 Apr 15||Exist||-||-||-||-||-||-||Exist|
|1900 Jun 1||Exist||-||-||-||-||-||-||Exist|
|1890 Jun 2||Lost||Lost||-||-||-||-||-||-|
Sources and Notes
- Anne Bruner Eales, and Robert M Kvasnicka, ed., Guide to Genealogical Research in the National Archives of the United States, 3d ed. (Washington, D.C.: NARA, 2000), 30.
- William Thorndale, and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1987), 24-25.
- William Dollarhide, The Census Book: A Genealogists Guide to Federal Census Facts, Schedules and Indexes (Bountiful, Utah: Heritage Quest, 1999), 102.
- Only for Indian schedules taken along with Federal population schedules.
1900 and 1920—Free Internet census indexes to the 1900, and 1920 (partial index only) can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search. The 1900 shows every name listed on the census; the partial 1920 index in not yet complete, but will eventually show every name. The 1900 index is also linked to census images including information about each person’s residence, age, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
1900-1930 Census--The Family History Library has the U.S. federal censuses for Alaska for 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930. They are also available online at Ancestry: http://www.ancestry.com . Federal census records are found at the National Archives, and other federal and state archives. The United States Research Outline provides more detailed information about these records.
1959--Alaska became a state.
1870-1907 Indexes--Miscellaneous censuses of parts of the Aleutian Islands have been indexed in:
- Jackson, Ronald Vern. Alaska Census Records, 1870-1907. Bountiful, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems, 1976. (Family History Library book 979.8 X22j).
1900, 1920 Indexes--Soundex (phonetic) indexes are available on microfilm for the 1900 and 1920 censuses.
Alaska does not have mortality or other special censuses.
1870--State census records are available.
1878--State census records are available.
1879--State census records are available.
1881--State census records are available.
1885--State census records are available.
1887--State census records are available.
1890-1895--State census records are available.
1904-1907--State census records are available.
1914--State census records are available.
1917--State census records are available.
1870-1880 Territorial Census--In addition to the federal censuses, the 1870 and 1880 territorial censuses of Sitka have been published (Family History Library film 982047). These censuses include information on the entire household.
Heritage Quest Online: http://www.heritagequestonline.com
Census Online: http://www.census-online.com/links/AK/
Access Genealogy: http://www.accessgenealogy.com/census/alaska.htm