Alameda County, California Genealogy
- 1 Courthouse and Other Repositories
- 2 Places/Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 5 Websites
- 6 References
Courthouse and Other Repositories
Alameda County's official website 1225 Fallon St. Oakland, CA 94612
California's Living New Deal Project has information about the Alameda County Courthouse, including photos and a street map.
Alameda County Genealogy has a list of cemeteries with links to sites with informaion about the Alameda County cemeteries.
EL CERRITO: Sunset View Cemetery & Mortuary 510-525-5111 101 Colusa Ave
FREMONT: Cedar Lawn Cemetary 48800 Warm Springs Blvd., Fremont, California. Phone: 408-263-2868 & 510-656-5565
FREMONT /IRVINGTON: Irvington Memorial Cemetery 41001 Chapel Way, Fremont, California. Phone:510-656-5800
HAYWARD: Lone Tree Cemetery, 24591 Fairview Ave, Hayward, CA 94541, Phone: (510) 582-1274, Located in the lower foothills of Hayward /Fairview township, at the Junction of Hansen Rd & Fairview Ave. Very old burials, since 1868, as well as current. Mausoleum, cremation, and ground burials, private family mausoleums. Probably open daily. Closed overnight.
HAYWARD: Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, (510) 581-2488 1051 Harder Rd (Southern part of Hayward).
Hayward / UNION CITY: Chapel of the Chimes: (510)471-3363 (24 hr service) 32992 Mission Blvd 94544. Mausoleum, cremation and ground burials. Large, old cemetary, current burials. www.lifemarkgroup.com
LIVERMORE: Roselawn Cemetery & Crematorium 510-581-1206 1240 N. Livermore Ave. Ground burials & urn garden.
OAKLAND: Mountain View Cemetery, 510-658-2588 5000 Piedmont Ave, founded 1863. Cremation, gound, mausoleum. Cemetery website BillionGraves page for cemetery, with photos, Google map, and searchable database.
SUNNYVALE: Skylawn Memorial Park-Bal Ling Yuan 510-475-8638 433 East El Camino Real.
The following web sites have entries for people buried in Alameda County. None have complete lists:
In the Family History Library Catalog Place Search on FamilySearch, for Alameda, California, look at the list of records for Cemeteries. Public libraries may have copies of the books or can obtain them through Interlibrary Loan.
Church History and Records
Churches in Alameda County California, list by Genealogy Trails with some addresses and phone numbers
Alameda Churches, short list but with links to transcriptions of some records
Church records are usually found in the towns rather than on the county level. Search the Family History Library Catalog - familysearch.org/#form=catalog Place Search for the appropriate town in Alameda County.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Berkeley 1
- Berkeley 2
- Dimond (Oakland)
- Elmhurst (Oakland)
- Maxwell Park (Oakland)
- San Leandro
Superior Court of California, County of Alameda, Civil Court Records, with links to the locations where records may be examined.
Superior Court of California, County of Alameda, Small Claims lists locations of Small Claims Courts.
Superior Court of California, County of Alameda, Criminal Division,"The Criminal Division is unable to do any extensive research over the telephone. Searching records or files longer than 10 minutes requires a $15.00 search fee and such requests must be made in writing or in person. All written requests must be accompanied by a self-addressed stamped return envelope. If you are requesting a certified copy, also include $0.50 for each copy plus $15.00 for the document certification."
Alameda County Court Directory gives addresses, phone numbers, fax numbers and links to the courts web sites and online resources..
Google Books has some books about the history and people in Alameda County, California. Try various search terms, including the names of people. Books designated with "Full view" can be read online.
In the Family History Library Catalog Place Search on FamilySearch, for Alameda County, California, look at the list of records for History and History - Indexes. Films can be sent to family history centers. Public libraries may have copies of the books or can obtain them through Interlibrary Loan.
Land and Property
Clerk-Recorder's Office has records prior to 1969 on film that must be searched there. From 1969 to the present, the records are online.
In the Family History Library Catalog Place Search on FamilySearch, for Alameda County, California, look at the list of records for Land and property and Land and property - Maps. Films can be sent to family history centers. Public libraries may have copies of the books or can obtain them through Interlibrary Loan.
History of Alameda County, California : including its geology, topography, soil, and productions : together with a full and particular record of the Spanish grants...1883 by M. W. Wood. Digitized book online from archive.org.
The centennial year book of Alameda County, California : containing a summary of the discovery and settlement of California ... also, a gazetteer of each township, useful local and general statistical information, appropriate for the present time, to which are added biographical sketches of prominent pioneers and public men, 1876, by William Halley. Digitized book online from archive.org.
History of Washington Township, Alameda County, California, 1904. Digitized book online from archive.org.
For historical maps,search the following free sites:
• Maps-Historical-Sate of California, the Carlifornia government's site. Links to American Memory (Library of Congress), California Missions, and the State Library
• California Maps - HSU Library, also lists and links to gazetteers
Military History and Records
Ancestry.com has Records of California men in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1867
- The California Digital Newspaper Collection has newspapers from 1848 through 1922. You can search by keyword, including names, and/or by date.
- The major newspaper published in Alameda county is The Oakland Tribune, which has been published under variations of the current name since 1874. Ancestry.com has broken runs from 1874 to 1977.
- Berkeley Daily Gazette - more than 8,000 issues spanning 1911-1946 freely available in Google Newspaper Archive.
In the Family History Library Catalog Place Search on FamilySearch, for Alameda County, California, look at the list of records for Probate records. Films can be sent to family history centers.
- Alameda County, California Obituary and Death Notice Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com. Obits and death notices from Various Funeral Homes in the Oakland, Fremont, Hayward, Berkeley, Alameda, San Leandro, Livermore, Pleasanton and Union City areas.
Copies of Birth, Marriage, or Death Certificates can be obtained at:
Alameda County Clerk Recorder - Vital Records
1106 Madison Street, Room 121
Oakland, CA 94607
Divorce papers are filed at:
Alameda County Superior Court
1225 Fallon Street, Room 209
Oakland, CA 94612
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Livermore-Amador Genealogical Society serves the cities of Livermore, Pleasanton and Dublin and surrounding areas in the Livermore and Amador Valleys of southeastern Alameda County, in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Livermore Heritage Guild "collects and preserves historical artifacts, is an information resource for those who are interested in the history of Livermore and assists those searching for family background. "
Hayward Area Historical Society preserves the history of the Hayward, Castro Valley, and San Lorenzo area.
California Genealogical Society and Library, located in Oakland, is rich in genealogy reference materials, both standard and unique, covering people and places in California and the rest of the country.
Public, college, and university libraries in Alameda County lists the libraries with links to their web sites
California State Library - Sutro, Sutro Library, 480 Winston Drive, San Francisco, CA 94132, phone: (415) 731-4477
Alameda County Library, Dublin Library (Online Archive of California)
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Fremont California Family History Center
- Hayward California Family History Center (Fremont)
- Livermore California Family History Center
- Oakland California Large Multi-stake Family History Center
- Pleasanton California Family History Center
- Alameda County CAGenWeb, part of CAGenWeb Project
- Alameda County, California Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- Genealogy Trails, Alameda County California History & Genealogy
- Family History Library Catalog
A wiki article describing this collection is found at:
- California, Genealogical Collections at the California Genealogical Society (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).