Aitkin County, Minnesota Genealogy
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
"Our Mission is Providing Quality Services and Efficient Resource Management for the Citizens and Guests of Aitkin County"
209 2nd Street NW
Aitkin, MN 56431
- Created 23 May 1857 from parts of Cass and Itasca Counties as Aiken County, the spelling changed in 1872.
- Crow Wing County was formed later same day from Aitkin County.
- Named for William Alexander Aitkin, a fur trader for the American Fur Company, under John Jacob Astor.
- The county originally had 17 townships closest to the Mille Lacs Lake.
- Sometime between 1857 and 1871, the county acquired the out-lands of Itasca and Pine Counties to its north and east.
- The county was reorganized in 1871, taking the lands from Cass and Itasca counties and losing a point located in southwest corner to Crow Wing county.
Cities: Aitkin . Hill City . McGrath . McGregor . Palisade . Tamarack
Townships: Aitkin . Ball Bluff . Balsam . Beaver . Clark . Cornish . Farm Island . Fleming . Glen . Haugen . Hazelton . Hill Lake . Idun . Jevne . Kimberly . Lakeside . Lee . Libby . Logan . Macville . Malmo . McGregor . Millward . Morrison . Nordland . Pliny . Rice . Salo . Seavey . Shamrock . Spalding . Spencer . Turner . Verdon . Wagner . Waukenabo . Wealthwood . White Pine . Williams . Workman
Unorganized Townships: Davidson . Jewett . Northeast Aitken . Northwest Aitken
Communities: Arthyde . Ball Bluff . Bennettville . Cutler . East Lake (Minisinaakwaang) . Giese . Glen . Glory . Haypoint . Jacobson . Kimberly . Lake Minnewawa . Lawler . Libby . Malmo . Nichols . Pliny . Rabey . Red Top . Ronald . Rossburg . Sandy Lake (Gaa-mitaawangaagamaag) . Sheshabee . Shovel Lake . Swatara . Thor . Waukenabo . Wealthwood
Societies and Libraries
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Aitkin County MNGenWeb Project, an member of The MNGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.