Aitkin County, Minnesota Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 02:19, 16 August 2008 by Dsammy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Cities, Townships and Communities
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- Created 23 May 1857 from parts of Cass and Itasca Counties as Aiken County, the spelling changed in 1872.
- Crow Wing County was formed later same day from Aitkin County.
- Named for William Alexander Aitkin, a fur trader for the American Fur Company, under John Jacob Astor.
- The county originally had 17 townships closest to the Mille Lacs Lake.
- Sometime between 1857 and 1871, the county acquired the out-lands of Itasca and Pine Counties to its north and east.
- The county was reorganized in 1871, taking the lands from Cass and Itasca counties and losing a point located in southwest corner to Crow Wing county.