Difference between revisions of "Acton Trussell, Staffordshire Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m
m
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Staffordshire]]  
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Staffordshire]]  
 +
 +
[[Image:St_James_Acton_Trussell_Staffordshire.jpg|thumb|right|Acton Trussel St James]]
  
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
  
Acton Trussell is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1776 from [[Berkswich with Walton, Staffordshire]] Ancient Parish. <br>  
+
Acton Trussell St james is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1776 from [[Berkswich with Walton, Staffordshire]] Ancient Parish. <br>  
  
 
ACTON-TRUSSELL, a parochial chapelry, in the parish of Baswick, union of Penkridge, E. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford, 3½ miles (N. N. E.) from Penkridge; containing, with Bednall, 574 inhabitants. The township of Acton and Bednall comprises 2551 acres, of which 1400 are arable, and the remainder grass, with a few acres of plantation; the soil is a good gravelly loam. Acton lies west of Bednall, adjoining the river Penk and the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Bednall united; net income, £234; patrons, the Trustees of William Hulme. The glebe-house was built in 1842 by the Rev. Matthew Davies, the incumbent; it commands extensive and beautiful views: the glebe consists of 32 acres. The chapel of Acton, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient edifice in the early English style, with a square tower: Bednall chapel, dedicated to All Saints, was rebuilt in 1844, and consecrated in July 1846; it is a neat structure with a bell-turret. There is a national school.  
 
ACTON-TRUSSELL, a parochial chapelry, in the parish of Baswick, union of Penkridge, E. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford, 3½ miles (N. N. E.) from Penkridge; containing, with Bednall, 574 inhabitants. The township of Acton and Bednall comprises 2551 acres, of which 1400 are arable, and the remainder grass, with a few acres of plantation; the soil is a good gravelly loam. Acton lies west of Bednall, adjoining the river Penk and the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Bednall united; net income, £234; patrons, the Trustees of William Hulme. The glebe-house was built in 1842 by the Rev. Matthew Davies, the incumbent; it commands extensive and beautiful views: the glebe consists of 32 acres. The chapel of Acton, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient edifice in the early English style, with a square tower: Bednall chapel, dedicated to All Saints, was rebuilt in 1844, and consecrated in July 1846; it is a neat structure with a bell-turret. There is a national school.  
  
From: 'Ackworth - Adbaston', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 9-12. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50743 Date accessed: 22 March 2011.<br>
+
From: 'Ackworth - Adbaston', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 9-12. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50743 Date accessed: 22 March 2011.<br>  
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 25: Line 27:
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
  
[[Penkridge Poor Law Union, Staffordshire]]
+
[[Penkridge Poor Law Union, Staffordshire]]  
  
==== Probate records<br> ====
+
==== Probate records<br> ====
  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Staffordshire Probate Records|Staffordshire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Staffordshire Probate Records|Staffordshire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
  
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
+
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
  
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
+
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
Line 42: Line 44:
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
[[Category:Staffordshire]]
 
[[Category:Staffordshire]]

Revision as of 06:13, 23 March 2011

England Gotoarrow.png Staffordshire

Acton Trussel St James

Parish History

Acton Trussell St james is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1776 from Berkswich with Walton, Staffordshire Ancient Parish.

ACTON-TRUSSELL, a parochial chapelry, in the parish of Baswick, union of Penkridge, E. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford, 3½ miles (N. N. E.) from Penkridge; containing, with Bednall, 574 inhabitants. The township of Acton and Bednall comprises 2551 acres, of which 1400 are arable, and the remainder grass, with a few acres of plantation; the soil is a good gravelly loam. Acton lies west of Bednall, adjoining the river Penk and the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Bednall united; net income, £234; patrons, the Trustees of William Hulme. The glebe-house was built in 1842 by the Rev. Matthew Davies, the incumbent; it commands extensive and beautiful views: the glebe consists of 32 acres. The chapel of Acton, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient edifice in the early English style, with a square tower: Bednall chapel, dedicated to All Saints, was rebuilt in 1844, and consecrated in July 1846; it is a neat structure with a bell-turret. There is a national school.

From: 'Ackworth - Adbaston', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 9-12. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50743 Date accessed: 22 March 2011.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Poor Law Unions

Penkridge Poor Law Union, Staffordshire

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.